New York prepares for Mumbai-style attackOctober 15th, 2010 - 11:40 am ICT by IANS
New York, Oct 15 (IANS) With US officials proclaiming an alleged European terror plot still active, New York City police conducted a drill that simulated a Mumbai-style attack on civilians on a crowded street in Manhattan’s financial district.
The drill Thursday simulated an attack in lower Manhattan’s financial district, near Wall Street and Ground Zero, on a mock block that contained a department store, a hotel and a federal regulatory agency, according to ABC News.
European authorities view these as the kind of “soft” and financial targets that might be attacked in a commando-style assault. Multiple civilians and officers were “shot” during the drill.
“We’ve got some info from one of the perps (slang for one who perpetrates a crime) that the Empire State Building might be next,” one police radio crackled during the drill. As it did, helmeted cops with M4 rifles and M14 assault rifles began stalking the street hunting snipers and assailants.
“What we try to do is stress the system,” New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said. “We think the unthinkable.”
Thursday’s exercise that simulated multiple bombs and shooters, including a bomb under a vehicle, and police responded with helicopters, dogs, automatic weapons and an armoured car, was the ninth since Mumbai.
Earlier Thursday, the State Department’s counterterror chief told reports in London that the travel alert issued last week that advised travellers in Europe to be careful was still in effect. “We don’t view the conditions as warranting us rescinding the alert,” said Daniel Benjamin.
The alert was issued Oct 3, when intelligence led authorities to believe a Mumbai-style assault on so-called “soft” civilian targets might be imminent in Europe.
European and US authorities first learned of the plot over the summer following the capture of Ahmed Siddiqui, a suspected German terrorist who had been training in Pakistan.
Recent law enforcement operations within the United States have helped to flush out chatter that added to earlier concerns about the US homeland as a possible additional target of the attacks, ABC said.
Known targets are believed to include England, France and Germany. Additional European countries, including Italy and Belgium, are also targets, it said citing multiple sources.
Siddiqui’s claims about a multi-city plot against Europe have been bolstered by other “highly reliable” sources of information, US and German intelligence officials said Thursday.
They told ABCNews.com that about 45 other “potentially dangerous” individuals in Germany are being tracked as officials seek to prevent an attack from taking place.
- NYPD's mock drill in preparation for 26/11 Mumbai-style Al-Qaeda attack - Oct 15, 2010
- 'Several people involved in Mumbai-type European attacks plot identified': Haqqani - Oct 05, 2010
- Planned Mumbai-style terror plot on Europe verified by 'other sources' too: Intelligence - Oct 09, 2010
- Now, Japan, Sweden warn citizens against al-Qaeda Mumbai-style terror attacks in Europe - Oct 05, 2010
- NYPD trains personnel to anticipate, counter Mumbai type terror attack - Dec 21, 2010
- Britons trained in Pakistan for Mumbai-style attacks - Sep 30, 2010
- Mumbai-style terror attack cells 'already in Britain', claims Qaeda commander - Oct 05, 2010
- 5 major check-in areas at European airports were targets of Mumbai-style attacks: US official - Oct 06, 2010
- 'US drone attack surge in Pak connected to suspected Europe terror plot': Haqqani - Oct 06, 2010
- US, allies on global hunt for terror plotters - Oct 04, 2010
- Mumbai-style attacks on European countries 'not a case of if- but when' - Nov 18, 2010
- Europe facing credible 'Mumbai-style' al Qaeda terror attacks threat, says leaked memo - Jan 08, 2011
- Eight German al-Qaeda terrorists killed in US drone attack in Pakistan - Oct 05, 2010
- French Muslims feeling targeted over 26/11 Mumbai-style attack threat in Europe - Oct 09, 2010
- Al Qaeda hid attack plan in porn movie (Lead) - May 01, 2012
Tags: abc news, assault rifles, automatic weapons, civilian targets, commando style, counterterror chief, crowded street, daniel benjamin, empire state building, european authorities, federal regulatory agency, financial targets, law enforcement operations, lower manhattan, new york police, police radio, ray kelly, style attack, terror plot, travel alert