New York Muslim cabby’s attacker claimed to be a ‘patriot’ on arrestSeptember 23rd, 2010 - 3:00 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Sep 23(ANI): American film student, Michael Enright, had declared himself a “patriot” after being arrested for allegedly slashing a Muslim cabby in New York.
“What ya going to do? Beat me up. … You are a stupid broad,” The New York Post quoted Michael Enright, as having told a female cop after she arrested him.
“I am a patriot and I want representation,” he added.
According to court documents, Enright, who has been indicted on charges of second-degree attempted murder and first-degree assault under the category of hate crimes, had admitted to cops that he drank a pint of Scotch.
During the rant, the 21-year-old also accused Muslims of being terrorists.
“You allow them to blow up buildings in this country,” he said.
Enright allegedly slashed cab driver, Sharif Ahmed, in his throat, face and arm on August 24 after learning that he was a Muslim, but Ahmed survived the attack.
The student, who spent time in Afghanistan working on a documentary, allegedly yelled, “This is a checkpoint”, before stabbing Ahmed.
“This is the checkpoint, and I have to bring you down,” Ahmed claimed. Meanwhile, the outrageous comments have forced the Manhattan Supreme Court judge to deny Enright’s bail petition.
Enright is being in the psychiatric ward at Bellevue Hospital, and would face up to 25 years in prison if convicted of the attempted murder charge. (ANI)
- NY Muslim cabby's attacker indicted on hate crime charge - Aug 31, 2010
- Man who slashed Muslim charged with hate crimes - Aug 26, 2010
- Michael Enright Held Without Bail For Slashing Muslim Cab Driver - Aug 26, 2010
- American man accused of slashing New York cabbie's throat for being Muslim - Aug 26, 2010
- New York City Cabbie Stabbed After Admitting That He Was A Muslim - Aug 26, 2010
- US man charged with hate crime for stabbing Muslim cabbie - Sep 01, 2010
- New York cabbie stabbed after he reveled that he is a Muslim - Aug 26, 2010
- Gashed Mohammedan Cabbie To Dialogue With The Mayor Of New York City - Aug 26, 2010
- Ugly Betty actor killed mom 'because she was possessed by a demon' - Nov 27, 2010
- US Justice Department probing NY Muslim cabby's throat slashing as possible hate crime - Sep 08, 2010
- Michael Enright, Accused Of Slitting A Muslim Cab Driver, Is Taken To A Psychiatric Quarter At An Infirmary In New York - Aug 27, 2010
- Muslim-American leaders fear "Islamophobia" may lead to "hate crimes" - Aug 27, 2010
- IMF chief denied bail in sex assault case (Lead) - May 17, 2011
- Anti-9/11 mosque campaigners condemn project in wake attempted murder of Muslim cabby - Aug 27, 2010
- Indian-origin US student indicted for Jersey roommate's suicide - Apr 21, 2011
Tags: ahmed, american film, attacker, bellevue hospital, cab driver, cabby, checkpoint, degree assault, female cop, film student, first degree, hate crimes, michael enright, murder charge, new york post, outrageous comments, psychiatric ward, supreme court judge, time in afghanistan, york sep