New York Governor Paterson to name Gillibrand to Clinton’’s former Senate seatJanuary 23rd, 2009 - 1:35 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Jan.23 (ANI): New York Governor David Paterson is expected to name Representative. Kirsten Gillibrand, an upstate Democrat, to replace Hillary Clinton in the U.S. Senate, a Democratic official with knowledge of the governor’’s decision told FOX News on Thursday night.
Gillibrand, elected in 2006, represents the state’’s 20th congressional district in the U.S. House of Representatives. She is the first Democrat to represent the district since 1978 — and the first female representative of the district.
Paterson is scheduled to formally announce his pick Friday.
“I”m honored just to be considered,” Gillibrand told FOX News earlier Thursday.
But some New York City Democrats are skeptical of Gillibrand, who voted against the financial rescue package last fall.
The National Rifle Association, however, has endorsed Gillibrand, which is another cause for concern among some Democrats.
In defense of the endorsement, Gillibrand told FOX News that she come from a “hunting family” and “wants to support hunter’’s rights.”
The choice of Gillibrand follows weeks of broad speculation over whom Paterson would choose, the presumed frontrunners being state Attorney General Andrew Cuomo and Caroline Kennedy, the daughter of President Kennedy.
Clinton resigned from the Senate this week to be sworn in as President Obamas Secretary of State.
Kennedy withdrew her name from consideration Wednesday, citing “personal reasons.” (ANI)
- NY Governor wants time to think about Hillary Clinton''s Senate replacement - Jan 21, 2009
- 20-1 odds against Caroline Kennedy getting Hillary Clintons NY Senate seat - Dec 08, 2008
- Caroline Kennedy opts out of New York Senate race - Jan 22, 2009
- 'UK pressurised Scotland to release Lockerbie bomber over oil deal between BP-Libya' - Dec 22, 2010
- New Yorkers want Cuomo, not Caroline Kennedy to fill Clintons vacant senate seat - Jan 15, 2009
- New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo announces candidacy for Governor of New York - May 22, 2010
- Guv Paterson puts caution flag on Kennedys Senate seat front-runner tag - Dec 25, 2008
- Family will have to convince Caroline Kennedy to bid for Senate seat - Dec 08, 2008
- Caroline Kennedy interested in Hillary Clinton''s Senate seat - Dec 06, 2008
- Caroline Kennedy does a Sarah Palin, repeats ''you know'' 142 times in interview! - Dec 30, 2008
- Bill Clinton touted as a possible N.Y. Senate ''caretaker'' - Jan 02, 2009
- President Barack Obama Pays Visit To Tucson Shooting Victims - Jan 13, 2011
- Ackerman says Caroline Kennedy no more qualified than JLo to be New York Senator - Dec 11, 2008
- Kennedys spokesman decries ''mudslinging'' over her Senate bid - Jan 23, 2009
- Hillary Clintons shoes will be difficult to fill - Nov 22, 2008
Tags: attorney general andrew cuomo, caroline kennedy, congressional district, david paterson, democrat, fox news, frontrunners, hillary clinton, house of representatives, kirsten gillibrand, national rifle association, personal reasons, president kennedy, secretary of state, senate seat, speculation, state attorney general, thursday night, u s senate, york governor