New York airport bomb plotter gets life sentenceDecember 16th, 2010 - 6:17 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Dec 16 (IANS) A former member of Guyana’s parliament was sentenced to life in prison by a US court for his role in a failed plot to blow up fuel tanks at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York, CNN reported.Abdul Kadir is one of four people who faced charges in the 2007 plot to explode fuel tanks and the fuel pipeline under the airport, according to a statement from the US Eastern District Court of New York.
“The sentence imposed on Abdul Kadir Wednesday sends a powerful and clear message,” US Attorney Loretta Lynch said. “We will bring to justice those who plot to attack the United States.”
A federal jury convicted Kadir and co-conspirator Russell Defreitas, a former JFK cargo worker, in July after a nine-week trial, the statement said.
Kadir was found guilty on five counts including conspiring to attack a public transportation system and to destroy a building or other real property by fire or explosive.
His attorney, Kafahni Nkrumah, was not immediately available for comment.
A third defendant, Abdul Nur, pleaded guilty in June to providing material support to terrorists. The fourth accused, Kareem Ibrahim, faces the same charges as Defreitas and Kadir, the statement said.
- US court sentences Defreitas for life over plotting to blow up NY JFK Airport - Feb 18, 2011
- Two found guilty in JFK bomb plot face life in prison - Aug 03, 2010
- Three US men found guilty of sexually exploiting Latin women - May 28, 2011
- Canadian Muslim charged with helping conspirers in 2009 New York bomb plot - Mar 16, 2011
- Pakistani bomb-maker scoured New York for targets (Second Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Former Bin-Laden aide jailed for life for US embassy bombings in East Africa - Jan 26, 2011
- Two American men plead guilty to terrorism conspiracy charge - Mar 04, 2011
- Pakistani pleads guilty to nuke export - Sep 10, 2011
- Indian-American's tipster convicted of insider trading - Jun 21, 2011
- Al Qaeda leaders in Pakistan directed 2009 New York subway plot - Jul 08, 2010
- Pak origin American gets 15 yr term for logistical support to Al-Qaeda - Jun 10, 2010
- Pennsylvania's 'Jihad Jane' to 'plead guilty' to four terror charges - Jan 30, 2011
- Tenth Somali pirate pleads guilty in pirate attack that left 4 Americans killed - May 27, 2011
- Times Square bomber charged with 10 terrorism and weapons counts - Jun 18, 2010
- Rana trial jury yet to reach verdict - Jun 09, 2011
Tags: abdul kadir, cnn, conspirator, defendant, eastern district court of new york, federal jury, fuel pipeline, fuel tanks, jfk, john f kennedy, john f kennedy international airport, kareem ibrahim, kennedy international airport, life in prison, life sentence, material support, nkrumah, plotter, public transportation system, russell defreitas