New Year’s Eve violence claims over 50 lives in ColombiaJanuary 2nd, 2009 - 5:35 pm ICT by IANS
Bogota, Jan 2 (IANS) The New Year began on a violent note in Colombia as 54 people lost their lives and more than 100 were injured in clashes among revellers, EFE news agency reported Friday.Northern province of Ceasar has been the worst hit with six deaths while five people were killed in the capital Bogota region, according to a police statement.
Four deaths were reported from northeastern Medellin province while deaths were also reported from Cauca, Uraba and Cali province, the statement said.
However, according to the police, the number of fatalities was 17 percent lower than that of the previous year.
About 65 people were killed and around 349 injured in violence that erupted during New Year celebrations last year.
The police have also confiscated huge quantity of firearms and adulterated liquor by raiding revellers’ parties across the country.
- Gunman kills five in Colombia - Jul 28, 2012
- 17 killed in Colombia bus accident - Nov 22, 2010
- Five killed in Colombia by landslide inside gold mine - Jun 15, 2011
- Colombia seizes 2.2 tonnes of cocaine - Sep 13, 2011
- Two Colombian rebels killed by their own bomb - Jun 08, 2012
- Five Colombian cops die in plane crash - Jul 29, 2011
- Top Colombian rebel commander killed - Nov 05, 2011
- Rapper killed in Colombia - Apr 26, 2012
- Adulterated liquor kills 29 in Ecuador - Jul 23, 2011
- 21 killed in Colombia accident - Apr 06, 2010
- Priest hacked to death in Colombia - Sep 14, 2011
- Massive landslide kills two, 145 missing in Columbia - Dec 06, 2010
- Colombia intercepts smugglers with anti-aircraft ordnance - Dec 16, 2009
- Colombian police seize one tonne of cocaine - Aug 31, 2011
- Drug lord described as `murderer of murderers' killed - Dec 30, 2010