New WTC drops plans for windows on world-type restaurantMarch 8th, 2011 - 6:19 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Mar 8 (ANI): Developers of the new World Trade Center have reportedly dropped plans for windows on the world-type restaurant on the tower’s top floor.
The restaurant, which had been part of the building’s plan since it was first called the Freedom Tower, has been scrapped over concerns about cost and the difficulty of finding a restaurateur willing to run a likely money-losing operation, the New York Post reports.
The paper quoted Port Authority (PA) executive Director Chris Ward as saying that: “These things are always money-losers. We think we can achieve a far better financial return given the (quality of the) space and avoid all the complexities.”
“New York City already has plenty of great restaurants,” Ward added.
The PA and private developer Douglas Durst are building the tower.
The original plan for a two-story restaurant was first developed in 2007, but it was scaled down to one floor because of concerns over cost. However, even that proved quite costly.
The decision to drop the restaurant came abruptly. The PA Web site still includes a “skyline” restaurant among the tower’s amenities. (ANI)
- No new eatery atop World Trade Center - Mar 09, 2011
- Permission to build 590ft "Triangle" Paris tower outrages critics over 'spoiling beauty' fears - Apr 01, 2011
- At 680 feet now and climbing, One World Trade Center finally joins New York skyline - Mar 22, 2011
- Dubai opens 'world's highest' restaurant - Jan 24, 2011
- Empire State Building to get rival skyscraper in New York - Aug 26, 2010
- Jennifer Aniston 'purchases $14.95m Village penthouse' - Feb 10, 2011
- A-Rod to move in $6m apartment - Feb 18, 2011
- Beekman Tower Soon To Be Reality - Sep 17, 2010
- Motorola Mobility to cut 4,000 jobs - Aug 14, 2012
- The $35K a night hotel room in New York! - Mar 13, 2011
- Bomb scare in New York turns out be hoax - Jan 20, 2011
- Dubai opens 'world's highest restaurant' - Jan 24, 2011
- World's tallest apartment building in Mumbai by 2014 (Lead) - Jun 08, 2010
- Court dismisses PIL against Tata housing project - Mar 26, 2012
- 'Woods' new pad includes oxygen-therapy room, practice golf course, four pools' - May 27, 2010
Tags: amenities, complexities, developers, director chris, douglas durst, executive director, freedom tower, losers, new world trade center, new wtc, new york city, new york post, pa web, port authority, private developer, restaurants, restaurateur, skyline restaurant, windows on the world, world trade center