New ’spray-on skin’ heals ulcers faster: StudyAugust 5th, 2012 - 6:15 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 5 (IANS) A ’spray-on skin’ can speed up healing of chronic ulcers by 50 percent, a new study suggests.
The spray quickly healed venous leg ulcers (the most common type) and improved the chances of wound closure in 228 patients. Those receiving the most effective dosage were 52 percent more likely to see their ulcer clear up after three months than untreated patients.
They also experienced a 16 percent greater reduction in wound area after seven days. In addition, the treatment helped wounds to close 21 days earlier, medical journal Lancet reports.
Herbert Slade, study co-author from Healthpoint Biotherapeutics in Fort Worth, Texas, US, said: “The treatment we tested in this study has the potential to vastly improve recovery times and overall recovery from leg ulcers without the need for a skin graft.”
People with restricted movement, obese individuals and those with varicose veins all face a greater risk of developing venous leg ulcers, the Daily Mail reports.
Standard treatment consists of compression bandages, infection control and wound dressings. However, this only heals between 30 to 70 percent of ulcers. While skin grafts have been used, this results in another wound at the site from which the transplanted skin is taken.
- Laughter is the best medicine for patients with leg ulcers - Mar 09, 2011
- Blast of sound can speed up wound healing - Nov 23, 2010
- 'Smart bandage' to speed up wound healing - Jun 06, 2011
- Bone marrow cells that convert into skin cells could revolutionise wound treatment - Apr 05, 2011
- Researchers certify healing power of honey - Jun 30, 2011
- Level of depression determine healing rate of wounds among diabetics - Aug 03, 2010
- Stress, anxiety can make it harder for wounds to heal: Study - Jun 10, 2010
- Stress, anxiety can delay healing of wounds - Jun 11, 2010
- Erectile dysfunction drug 'could prevent hand, finger ulcers' - Nov 08, 2010
- Exercise may benefit patients with deep vein thrombosis - Nov 23, 2010
- Newly-created bioactive peptides found to promote wound healing - Dec 08, 2010
- Now, spray-on seamless fabric to change how clothes are worn - Sep 15, 2010
- Human skin mixed with spider silk can halt bullets - Sep 14, 2011
- Laughter is the best medicine - Mar 10, 2011
- Maggot therapy and standard treatment have equal benefits for leg ulcers - Mar 20, 2009
Tags: biotherapeutics, chronic ulcers, co author, compression bandages, daily mail, infection control, medical journal lancet, seven days, skin graft, skin grafts, slade, three months, ulcer, untreated patients, varicose veins, venous leg ulcers, wound area, wound closure, wound dressings, wounds