New pornography laws could make comic books illegal in BritainJanuary 29th, 2009 - 6:15 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 29 (ANI): New laws designed to tackle extreme and child pornography could make owning mainstream comics like Batman or Judge Dredd illegal in Britain, campaigners have claimed.
Comic book campaigners claim that if the new rules are interpreted harshly, their hobby could be criminalized.
They are protesting against two pieces of legislation. The first, the Criminal Justice and Immigration Act, comes into force later this month, The Telegraph reported.
It will make possessing extreme pornography defined as any extreme image produced solely or principally for the purpose of sexual arousal, illegal.
The Government defines an extreme image as any grossly offensive, disgusting or otherwise … obscene moving or still depiction of someone any reasonable person would think real being sexually injured or engaging in sexual activity with an animal or corpse.
The second is the Coroners and Justice Bill, which is currently passing through Parliament. It will introduce a similar law banning the possession of any image involving sexual activity and children.
In a statement, comicshopvoice.co.uk, a comic fans website, said of the rules outlawing sexual violence: Isnt that how Batman, Punisher, Judge Dredd get anything done? A kick in the balls would constitute this, and a kick in the balls is a well trodden part of humour.
It added that the new law on images of children would make owning some comic books, and particularly some forms of Manga - the Japanese form often featuring young-looking cartoon characters, illegal.
The statement added: Because this is a minefield for the law it then falls on the Police to enforce it, and it is their judgement that could lead to a prosecution. (ANI)
- Japanese government blocks child pornography ban - May 15, 2010
- Briton clicks himself raping child, jailed - Aug 12, 2012
- Uruguay to debate legalising marijuana - Aug 09, 2012
- Karl Urban to step into Stallone's shoes in Judge Dredd - Jul 23, 2010
- Indian-origin court clerk caught watching porn during trial - May 01, 2012
- Online porn encourages sex offenders - May 08, 2011
- Now, software to help track down child sexual predators - Aug 08, 2010
- US woman jailed for abusing daughter, 2, on web-cam as teen watched in UK - Mar 16, 2011
- Female authors call for "pornification" of society to be stopped - Aug 19, 2010
- Was not prepared for Judge Dredd role: Karl (With Images) - Sep 11, 2012
- I collected child porn for thesis: Man tells court - Jun 26, 2011
- Oz student jailed for seeking 'vampire sex' online from girls under 14 - Feb 10, 2011
- New York judge slapped with child porn charges - Aug 29, 2010
- Graphic novels, urban blues & art thefts on book shelf (IANS BOOKS THIS WEEK) - Feb 18, 2012
- New Zealand's Karl Urban in 'Judge Dredd' sequel - Jul 24, 2010
Tags: britain london, campaigners, cartoon characters, child pornography, comic books, comic fans, coroners, depiction, immigration act, judge dredd, justice bill, kick in the balls, london jan, minefield, new laws, pornography laws, punisher, reasonable person, sexual activity, sexual violence