New Kyrgyz president calls for closure of US airbaseNovember 1st, 2011 - 3:47 pm ICT by IANS
Bishkek, Nov 1 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Kyrgyzstan’s President-elect Almazbek Atambayev has called for the closure of the US airbase at Manas in the central Asian republic.
“I don’t think the base at Manas guarantees the security of our country. I would not want to see another country carry out a retaliatory strike against the base. A civil airport is a civil object, and it should remain so,” he said.
Kyrgyzstan “would observe all international agreements”, he stressed, but added that when the current Manas base agreement expires in 2014, the American facility there should go.
Kyrgyzstan could set up a transport hub for Afghanistan for “passage of civilian traffic, maybe together with Russia”, Atambayev said.
“There is no political game here. It’s not really very good to arrive at the country’s main airport and see military equipment there,” he said at his first press conference after preliminary presidential election results were announced Sunday.
With 99.96 percent of the ballots counted Sunday, Atambayev won the election with 63.24 percent of the vote. His nearest rival was the leader of the United Kyrgyzstan party Adakhan Madumarov, with 14.76 percent.
The Manas base was set up near the Kyrgyz capital Bishkek in 2001 in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks in America to support military operations against the Taliban in Afghanistan. The facility remains key to supply operations for the ongoing military campaign there.
Kyrgyz Prime Minister Omurbek Babanov has said previously that the future of the base as a transit point for US military cargo should be decided by the Collective Security Treaty Organisation, a grouping of Central Asian states including several former Soviet republics.
- Kyrgyz acting PM resigns - Sep 01, 2012
- Kyrgyz president sacks government - Aug 24, 2012
- Pentagon chief in Kyrgyzstan for talks - Mar 13, 2012
- Russia owes rent on military bases: Kyrgyz president - Dec 29, 2011
- Kyrgyz PM Atambayev set to win presidential poll - Oct 31, 2011
- Kyrgyzstan wants US out of Manas airbase in 2014 - Feb 21, 2012
- Kyrgyz activists demand closure of US airbase - Mar 16, 2012
- 17 killed, over 140 injured in Kyrgyzstan riots (Lead) - Apr 07, 2010
- Russia, neighbours to hold air defence drills - Sep 14, 2012
- Kyrgyzstan riots toll rises to 40 (Second Lead, changing dateline) - Apr 08, 2010
- Kyrgyz President Otunbayeva refuses participating in upcoming fall elections - Feb 22, 2011
- Drug traffickers held carrying heroin in stomach - Dec 27, 2011
- Putin peak summitted for first time - Sep 14, 2012
- Britain eyes Afghanistan transit routes - Mar 02, 2012
- Nothing can convince Iran to halt n-plans: Russian analysts - Feb 23, 2012
Tags: asian republic, asian states, central asian, civilian traffic, collective security, former soviet republics, kyrgyz capital, kyrgyz president, manas, military cargo, political game, preliminary presidential election results, president elect, presidential election results, retaliatory strike, ria novosti, security treaty, taliban in afghanistan, transit point, transport hub