New IAEA report on Iran’s nuke progress brings Obama under questionSeptember 18th, 2009 - 4:47 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Sep. 18 (ANI): The Obama administration’s claim that Iran’s short- and medium-range missiles posed the highest risk may come under question following an IAEA report warning that Iran has the ability to make a nuclear bomb and is developing a missile system to carry it.
Within hours of US Defense Secretary Robert Gates announcing that they were shelving plans for a missile defense shield in Eastern Europe because of Iran’s shift in strategy, IAEA’s confidential report revealed that Iran has “sufficient information” to build a bomb, Fox News reports.
However, an IAEA spokesman was quoted by the report as saying that the evidence suggesting Iran has a nuclear weapons program has not been verified.
“With respect to a recent media report, the IAEA reiterates that it has no concrete proof that there is or has been a nuclear weapon program in Iran,” the IAEA said in a written statement.
In February, Iran launched a satellite into space fuelling speculations that the nation was making progress on long-range technology, the report notes.
American lawmakers said that Obama was ignoring these threats when he shelved the Eastern European-based missile defense shield proposed by former President George W. Bush, which was strongly opposed by Russia.
“Scrapping the U.S. missile defense system in Poland and the Czech Republic does little more than empower Russia and Iran at the expense of our allies in Europe,” the report quoted House Minority Leader John Boehner, as saying.
However, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs called the accusations that the U.S. was sacrificing security “unfounded criticism.” (ANI)
- US warship heads out to protect Europe from Iranian missiles - Mar 02, 2011
- US may disclose missile defence data to Russia - Mar 12, 2012
- Iran missile programme no threat to Europe: French official - May 04, 2012
- US missile defence plans hinder new arms cuts: Russia - Jun 30, 2012
- Iran says IAEA's documents on its missile programme 'baseless' - Nov 06, 2011
- US using IAEA as a tool: Iran - Nov 07, 2011
- Obama scraps missile defence plans for Eastern Europe (Second Lead) - Sep 18, 2009
- Russia switches on missile detection radar - Nov 30, 2011
- Chinese firms, banks bypassing UN sanctions to aid Iran's nuke weapons programme: US - Oct 18, 2010
- Myanmar is working on n-arms programme: Experts - Jul 26, 2010
- Israeli minister denies plans to strike Iran - Nov 08, 2011
- Iran successfully tests Fateh-110 missile - Aug 26, 2010
- Russian military chief visits US - Jul 10, 2012
- 'Russia has no business in NATO missile defence' - May 23, 2012
- US says missile defence system no threat to Russia - Nov 24, 2011
Tags: concrete proof, fox news, house minority leader john boehner, john boehner, leader john boehner, medium range missiles, minority leader john boehner, missile defense shield, missile defense system, missile system, nuclear bomb, nuclear weapons program, president george w bush, range technology, robert gates, robert gibbs, secretary robert, shelving plans, weapon program, white house press