New device can scan brain diseasesJanuary 13th, 2012 - 6:44 am ICT by IANS
Jerusalem, Jan 13 (IANS) A device that can scan and provide a three-dimensional image of the brain to help treat diseases like Alzheimer’s was developed by an Israeli firm.
The non-invasive system, called the BNA, or Brain Network Activation, was developed by ElMindA, reports Xinhua.
It helps doctors visualize the connectivity between nerve cells and synchronization that can even measure the severity of the patients condition from one day to another, the Israel21c news site said.
BNA developers hope the system will become a regular way of diagnosing brain illnesses.
“Our vision is that every psychiatrist and neurologist in the world will routinely send every patient for BNA tests,” said Eli Zangvil, ElMindA’s strategic advisor for business development.
“Our test would add information and aid in diagnostics in a way no other existing technology can do,” he added.
BNA could help doctors find out exactly at what stage a patient’s illness is and prescribe exact medication.
“To do that, we must collect a lot of data,” Zangvil said.
“To say this person has a certain disease or condition, I have to be able to compare their pattern to a normal brain pattern of a person of the same age and gender,” he said.
Researchers hope to gather the amount of data they need to obtain FDA approval in the US by the end of 2012, and start marketing it to hospitals by 2013.
- Tool predicts death probability from stroke - Feb 11, 2011
- Doctors fail to nip Parkinson's in the bud - Apr 16, 2012
- Computerised brain map to revolutionise medical treatment - Apr 17, 2011
- New device uses submarine technology to detect stroke quickly - Mar 30, 2011
- Lower enzyme levels linked with schizophrenia - Jul 21, 2011
- Brain size linked to early Alzheimer's risk - Dec 28, 2011
- World's first comprehensive human brain atlas released - Apr 13, 2011
- New technique diagnoses brain cancers non-invasively - Jan 29, 2012
- Why Alzheimer's drug is both safe and effective - Aug 19, 2010
- Now, a camera that creates real-time, 3D colour movies of the brain! - Feb 05, 2011
- Potent new vaccine found effective against Alzheimer's - Jun 08, 2012
- People who punch or kick in sleep signal Parkinson's - Jun 02, 2011
- FDA approves personalized therapy for tough-to-treat colorectal cancer - Jul 26, 2012
- Sleep disorders are early signs of Alzheimer's - Sep 06, 2012
- Discovery of stem cell sheds new light on human brain evolution - May 26, 2010
Tags: alzheimer, bna, brain diseases, brain illnesses, business development, connectivity, fda, fda approval, image of the brain, israeli firm, jerusalem, medication, nerve cells, neurologist, news site, psychiatrist, severity, synchronization, three dimensional image, xinhua