New Brazilian firm to oversee nuclear submarine projectAugust 10th, 2012 - 1:34 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, Aug 10 (IANS) Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff has approved a plan to set up a state-owned company to oversee production of the country’s first nuclear submarine.
The company, Blue Amazon Defense Technologies or Amazul, will be in charge of “promoting, developing, absorbing, transferring and maintaining” technologies needed for Brazil’s nuclear programme and nuclear power-related activities of the Brazilian Navy, including the construction of Brazil’s first nuclear-powered submarine, Xinhua reported.
Amazul will also help create new companies in Brazil’s nuclear sector, offering them technical assistance if necessary.
The nuclear submarine project is the result of a partnership with France set up in 2009.
- US wants Brazil as defense partner - Apr 26, 2012
- Brazil calls on oil firms to operate responsibly - Mar 22, 2012
- Woman to head Brazilian oil giant - Jan 24, 2012
- Brazil to invest in individual sports to boost Olympic tally - Jul 28, 2012
- Brazil's Embraer to begin building drones - Sep 09, 2011
- 50 percent of Brazil's military equipment is obsolete: Report - Mar 14, 2011
- Indian Navy inducts n-powered attack submarine - Apr 04, 2012
- Brazil bans smoking in public spaces - Dec 16, 2011
- Brazil urges quick action on economic crisis - Oct 26, 2011
- Brazil leases airport to private consortium - Nov 29, 2011
- 2014 World Cup to be best ever: Ronaldo - Mar 18, 2012
- Brazil to tackle economic crisis by more investment - Sep 03, 2011
- Brazil asks US for transfer of military technology - Apr 25, 2012
- FIFA official to return to Brazil next week - Apr 03, 2012
- Valcke to return to Brazil for FIFA inspections - Mar 31, 2012
Tags: blue amazon, brazil, brazilian firm, brazilian navy, brazilian president, dilma rousseff, first nuclear submarine, nuclear power, nuclear sector, owned company, partnership, project rio, rio de janeiro, submarine project, technical assistance, xinhua