New book reveals Google’s fallout with Apple and exit from ChinaApril 10th, 2011 - 3:40 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 10 (ANI): A new book released this week has lifted the lid on the secretive world of Google, revealing how the founders fell out with Apple’s Steve Jobs and what happened in the search engine’s exit from China.
‘In the Plex’ was written by Steven Levy, a technology reporter who says his latest work is “informed by a two-year deep dive into the company,” reports the Daily Mail.
He reveals that when founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page were on the hunt for a chief executive they wanted Steve Jobs to take up the job.
The only problem was that Jobs had a much better job at Apple - a much more superior company at the time.
He turned their offer down but because he saw the potential of Google he agreed to mentor Page and Brin, even sharing advisers.
Problems came when Google bought and started work on the Android mobile phone system.
Apple saw it as a direct threat to iPhone and relationships broke down with Jobs feeling betrayed by the pair.
When he saw features like the ‘pinch-and-zoom’ control to look at websites and images during a visit to Mountain View, California, the home of ‘Googleplex’, he was apparently furious.
He believed the best ideas from the iPhone had been stolen.
The book also looks at the company’s decision to pull out of China in 2009, nine years after the decision to make in-roads into the country.
Hackers, believed to be state-sponsored, broke into Google email accounts so Brin decided it was time to pull out of China.
It was in the country that ‘the worst moment in Google’s history’ came about. (ANI)
- Microsoft founder criticizes Apple and Google - Apr 25, 2011
- Apple to US government: change mindset of defeat - Aug 04, 2011
- Friends, fans, foes hail Apple's visionary Jobs - Oct 06, 2011
- Facebook, Apple may be balkanising the web - Apr 16, 2012
- 'Apple to become world's first $1 trillion company' - Apr 08, 2012
- Forbes names Bill Gates 'Most Powerful Man in technology' - Nov 07, 2010
- 'iPhone' gas burners seized in China - Feb 25, 2012
- Google announces management changes - Jan 21, 2011
- Apple eyes China expansion - Mar 27, 2012
- Apple fans in China pay tribute to Jobs - Oct 06, 2011
- Apple iPhone 4S pre-orders top 1 mn in 24 hours - Oct 11, 2011
- Thank you Steve, forever, say Indian youths - Oct 06, 2011
- Apple iPhone 5 is slimmer, lighter (Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Apple unveils slimmer, lighter iPhone 5 - Sep 13, 2012
- 'Apple's future could be uncertain without Steve Jobs' - Feb 19, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,