Never-before-published Hitler photos revealedJune 5th, 2009 - 5:18 pm ICT by ANI
New York, June 5 (ANI): Never seen before photos of Adolf Hitler taken by personal photographer Hugo Jaeger have been revealed.
Jaeger was granted unprecedented access to Hitler from1936 to1945. He travelledwith Hitler and chronicled the Fuhrer and his confidants at small gatherings, public events and private moments.
The images almost never made the light of day, reports The New York Daily News.
Back in 1945, when the Allies pushed towards Munich, the snapper came face-to-face with some American soldiers. He was scared he would be arrested when they found the thousands of color negatives he had hidden in a leather suitcase.
But, destiny had something else in store. The soldiers threw open the case to discover a bottle of cognac, which they eagerly opened and shared with Jaeger, ignoring everything else.
To preserve the photos, he buried them in 12 glass jars on the outskirts of Munich.
In 1955, Jaeger finally retrieved all 2,000 transparencies and stored them in a bank vault before selling them to LIFE magazine in 1965. (ANI)
- Rare Hitler colour photos found - Jan 12, 2012
- Unseen pics reveal Hitler's colourful side - Sep 25, 2010
- Osama shares May 1 death with Hitler - May 02, 2011
- Hitler's bedsheets up for auction - Nov 25, 2011
- 1919 hate-filled letter by Hitler unveiled - Jun 08, 2011
- Hitler had a love child, says war soldier's diary - Mar 15, 2012
- German court bans 'Mein Kampf' excerpts - Jan 26, 2012
- Hitler 'poisoned himself with cyanide' - May 08, 2010
- Sinister images of Hitler training as SS officer up for grabs - Nov 29, 2010
- Hitler once spared the life of a Jew - his ex-officer - Jul 06, 2012
- FBI believed Hitler 'faked his own death with a bogus suicide' in 1945 - Apr 10, 2011
- Wanting to fight Nazis, Hitler's nephew wrote to Roosevelt - Aug 02, 2012
- German man convicted for having Hitler's speech as ring tone - Jul 02, 2010
- Hitler's last surviving bodyguard stops replying to fan mail - Jan 28, 2011
- Woman arrested for stealing 2398 jars of coffee - Nov 05, 2011
Tags: adolf hitler, american soldiers, bank vault, cognac, color negatives, confidants, fuhrer, gatherings, glass jars, hitler photos, jaeger, new york daily news, outskirts, personal photographer, photos of adolf hitler, private moments, snapper, suitcase, transparencies, york daily news