Netherlands to ban burka, halve immigration: Anti-Islam MP Geert WildersOctober 1st, 2010 - 1:25 pm ICT by ANI
Wellington, Oct 1(ANI): The Netherlands will ban the ‘burka’ and halve immigration under measures agreed in a pact to form a minority coalition government, according to Geert Wilders, the anti-Islam MP whose party is part of the deal.
“We want the Islamisation to be stopped,” The Telegraph quoted Wilders, who will go on trial in Amsterdam next Monday for inciting hatred against Muslims, as saying.
Wilders, who campaigns for a ban on Muslim immigration and wants to end the building of new mosques and tax Muslim head scarves, had a say in the plan’s immigration policies in return for supporting its austerity measures.
The “Freedom and responsibility” plan seeks to cut government spending by 18 billion euros (24 billion dollars) by 2015.
Wilders’ Party for Freedom (PVV) will remain outside the envisaged VVD-CDA cabinet but will provide the minority government with the majority it needs to pass decisions through parliament in return for a voice in policy formation, the paper said.
Members of the Christian Democratic Appeal, deeply divided over co-operation with Wilders, are yet to approve the new accord, which will be debated at a party congress on Saturday.
The VVD, or People’s Party for Freedom and Democracy, narrowly won the June 9 elections with 31 out of 150 parliamentary seats but needs partners to form a government.
CDA leader Maxime Verhagen described the deal as a “very good governing agreement.”
Although, the exact number of women wearing the ‘burka’ in The Netherlands is not known, they are believed to amount to a few dozen. Muslims make up an estimated about 900,000 of the 16.5 million Dutch population, the paper said. (ANI)
- Voters topple Dutch government - Jun 10, 2010
- Dutch anti-Islam party doubles seats in election - Jun 10, 2010
- Anti-Islam Dutch lawmaker put on trial for inciting racial hatred - Oct 04, 2010
- Exit poll: Pro-business VVD party, Labour party lead Dutch elections, Wilders' PVV third - Jun 10, 2010
- Anti-Islamic Dutch MP seeks Muslim immigration ban - May 09, 2011
- Dutch MP James Sharpe resigns amid growing scandals - Nov 18, 2010
- Anti-Muslim Dutch lawmaker to spread movement to UK,other Western nations - Jul 16, 2010
- EU parliament refuses screening of anti-Islam film - Dec 18, 2008
- Dutch PM, cabinet tender resignation - Apr 24, 2012
- 'Huge support for far right party, if they give up violence': Searchlight poll - Feb 27, 2011
- Moderate Muslims slam Brit Islamic schools for forcing girl students to wear burka - Oct 03, 2010
- Dutch politician to be tried in court for publicly criticizing Islam - Jan 22, 2009
- Britain rules out possibilities of imposing 'burka' ban - Jul 18, 2010
- Remarks of Dutch Party for Freedom leader Geert Wilders in London - Mar 06, 2010
- Italy set to be next European country to ban burka for 'security reasons' - Oct 08, 2010
Tags: austerity, dutch population, exact number, freedom and democracy, freedom and responsibility, geert wilders, government spending, head scarves, immigration policies, islamisation, maxime verhagen, minority coalition government, minority government, mosques, parliamentary seats, party congress, policy formation, pvv, responsibility plan, vvd