Netherlands donates over $40 mn for Bangladesh educationDecember 18th, 2008 - 8:26 am ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Dec 18 (DPA) The Dutch government will provide Bangladesh with 30 million euros ($42.1 million) to promote public education in the South Asian country where illiteracy is still high, the Netherlands embassy in Dhaka has said.The money will be spent for non-formal education under a project called Janashilon (Popular Education) in partnership with Friends in Villages Development in Bangladesh (FIVDB), a non-governmental organisation working in the education sector, under a five-year agreement.
The embassy and the Bangladesh government signed a deal to implement the project for a substantial scaling up of FIVDB’s work in primary education, adult literacy and livelihood training in 512 schools in 850 villages across the country.
At the end of the programme, around 81,000 poor children will be enrolled in high quality schools with 1,190 trained teachers in 10 out of 64 districts, according to the project document.
The retention rate of the students is expected to be maintained at 95 percent, according to the project, designed in collaboration with Bangladesh’s Primary and Mass Education ministry.
The programme will be implemented in communities that are particularly disadvantaged in terms of access to primary education and literacy training, said the release Wednesday.
- Kanki Mosehri in Bihar now boasts of a School - Nov 18, 2010
- Frankfurt Book Fair launches training campaigns in India - Aug 27, 2011
- Group to build 500 schools across country - Jun 23, 2012
- 'Pehal' initiatve aims to uplift the underprivileged - Jul 27, 2012
- Bangladesh to recruit 15,000 teachers - Sep 26, 2011
- Government will universalise secondary education: Patil - Feb 21, 2011
- Alka Yagnik, Javed Akhtar unveil literacy anthem - Sep 04, 2012
- Britain to double aid to Bangladesh: Envoy - Oct 03, 2011
- Ban Ki-moon arrives in Bangladesh - Nov 13, 2011
- Bangladesh to introduce pre-primary schooling - Aug 27, 2010
- Samsung sets up fund for poor kids' education - Feb 16, 2012
- Reliance Life's World Cup-linked literacy initiative begins - Feb 20, 2011
- Britain to give Bangladesh $350 mn aid - Jan 16, 2012
- Computers to monitor midday meal scheme - Aug 02, 2011
- Literacy enhances dignity and peace: Ban Ki-moon - Sep 09, 2011