Netanyahu prefers final accord with PalestineNovember 20th, 2009 - 5:40 pm ICT by ANI
Jerusalem, Nov. 20 (ANI): Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu will seek a final-peace accord with the Palestine Authority if talks resume, and not an interim solution.
In recent days, there have been various reports of cabinet ministers, and even President Shimon Peres, pressing for an interim accord that would include a Palestinian state with temporary borders.
However, Netanyahu has made it clear during various discussions this week that a “courageous leadership” on the Palestinian side could lead to a final peace agreement, which he would prefer to an interim agreement, the Jerusalem Post reports.
In his private discussions, Netanyahu also said that Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas, who has said he would step down because of the stymied diplomatic process, should not be “counted out.”
Netanyahu recalled that in 1971 no one thought that Egyptian President Anwar Sadat would eventually make peace with Israel, and that it was too early to “write off” Abbas. “Sometimes conventional wisdom is wrong,” he was quoted as saying.
Sources in the Prime Minister’s Office, meanwhile, didn’t confirm that Netanyahu was likely to declaring a 10-month freeze in the settlements in an effort to lure the PA back to the negotiation table. (ANI)
- Hillary can broker Mideast peace: Bill Clinton - Sep 22, 2010
- Abbas, Netanyahu hold direct talks in Jerusalem (Lead) - Sep 16, 2010
- Krishna leaves for Israel, Palestine Sunday - Jan 06, 2012
- Israel nod for Quartet peace plan, urges Palestinian acceptance - Oct 02, 2011
- Israel to offer "extensive and tempting" withdrawal plan to Palestine - Aug 15, 2010
- Gaza violence overshadows Mideast peace talks - Sep 16, 2010
- Second day of Israeli-Palestinian peace talks begins - Sep 15, 2010
- Israel warns of unilateral steps if Palestine moves to UN - Nov 16, 2009
- Palestinian UN bid not to be withdrawn even if talks resume: Abbas - Oct 11, 2011
- Netanyahu to meet Egyptian president - Apr 28, 2010
- Palestine leader heads to India next week (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Sarkozy calls Israeli PM Netanyahu a liar - Nov 08, 2011
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Netanyahu's heckler identified - May 25, 2011
- India pledges $10 mn for Palestine - Sep 11, 2012
Tags: authority president mahmoud abbas, binyamin netanyahu, conventional wisdom, courageous leadership, final peace, interim accord, interim agreement, interim solution, israeli prime minister, jerusalem post, mahmoud abbas, negotiation table, palestine authority, palestinian authority president mahmoud abbas, peace accord, peace agreement, president anwar, president mahmoud abbas, private discussions, shimon peres