Netanyahu, Mubarak discuss proximity talks in EgyptMay 3rd, 2010 - 5:44 pm ICT by IANS
Sharm el-Sheikh, May 3 (DPA) Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu met with Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak Monday to discuss Palestinian-Israeli indirect peace talks.
Netanyahu met with Mubarak in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt’s state TV website reported.
The meeting comes two days after the Arab League backed “proximity” talks, which Washington said will begin this week with the end goal of having direct negotiations between the sides.
However, Arab League Secretary General Amr Moussa said that indirect talks would not immediately lead to direct negotiations.
Netanyahu’s visit also comes ahead of US Middle East envoy George Mitchel’s expected visit to the region this week.
Israeli-Palestinian peace talks were suspended in late 2008, as Israel headed for elections. They have not been renewed since, despite the efforts of the Obama administration to get them going again.
In March, Arab states said they would allow the US four months for so-called proximity talks between the Israelis and Palestinians. However, the decision was rescinded shortly afterwards over an Israeli plan to build housing in contested East Jerusalem and then agreed upon again this past weekend.
The two leaders were also expected to touch on the situation in the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip, weapons smuggling from the Sinai peninsula into the blockaded salient, and on Cairo’s demands that Israel’s nuclear facilities be opened to inspection, Israel Army Radio reported.
- Arab League for direct Israeli-Palestinian peace talks - Jul 30, 2010
- Second day of Israeli-Palestinian peace talks begins - Sep 15, 2010
- Israel-Palestine direct talks end in Egypt - Sep 14, 2010
- Netanyahu to meet Egyptian president - Apr 28, 2010
- No alternative to peace talks: Abbas (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 16, 2010
- Egypt to host second round of Mideast peace talks - Sep 05, 2010
- Abbas, Netanyahu hold direct talks in Jerusalem (Lead) - Sep 16, 2010
- Israeli government discusses peace talks progress - Sep 05, 2010
- Netanyahu defends Jerusalem building despite controversy - Mar 16, 2010
- Netanyahu leaves for US for peace talks relaunch - Aug 31, 2010
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Israeli defence minister, Mubarak meet in Egypt - Jan 27, 2010
- Israel: Palestinian President Abbas set impossible conditions for direct peace talks - Jul 29, 2010
- Israel welcomes invitation to resume peace talks - Aug 20, 2010
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
Tags: amr moussa, arab league secretary general, army radio, benjamin netanyahu, east jerusalem, egyptian president hosni mubarak, gaza strip, hosni mubarak, indirect talks, israel army, israelis and palestinians, middle east envoy, palestinian peace, president hosni mubarak, prime minister benjamin, proximity talks, red sea resort, sharm el sheikh, sharm el sheikh egypt, sinai peninsula