Netanyahu leaves for US for peace talks relaunchAugust 31st, 2010 - 3:07 pm ICT by IANS
Tel Aviv, Aug 31 (DPA) Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu Tuesday left for Washington ahead of direct Israeli-Palestinian peace talks - the first face-to-face negotiations between the sides in more than a year.
The Israeli leader, along with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak and Jordanian King Abdullah II, will attended a ceremonial dinner hosted by US President Barack Obama Wednesday night local time.
On Thursday morning he is slated to hold talks with Abbas at the State Department. The formal talks themselves are due to begin Thursday.
Defence Minister Ehud Barak met with King Abdullah in Amman Sunday, and with Abbas Monday night, also in the Jordanian capital.
According to the Jerusalem Post daily, Barak and Abbas discussed Israel’s easing security restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, as a confidence-building measure ahead of the talks.
The last round of direct peace Israeli-Palestinian peace talks was suspended in late 2008, as Israel entered an election campaign which ultimately brought Netanyahu to power.
Direct negotiations were not renewed after Netanyahu took office, but the sides did begin indirect talks in spring this year.
- Israel-Palestine direct talks end in Egypt - Sep 14, 2010
- Obama convenes Mideast peace talks - Sep 01, 2010
- Netanyahu seeks historic compromise in Middle East - Sep 02, 2010
- Netanyahu discusses peace moves with Jordan king - Jul 27, 2010
- No alternative to peace talks: Abbas (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 16, 2010
- Israel announces building plan, rejects preconditions - Aug 16, 2010
- Israeli defence minister to meet Palestine PM - Jul 05, 2010
- Palestine rejects US call to start direct talks - Jul 18, 2010
- No talks until Israel meets its obligations: Abbas - Mar 18, 2010
- Netanyahu, Mubarak discuss proximity talks in Egypt - May 03, 2010
- Arab League for direct Israeli-Palestinian peace talks - Jul 30, 2010
- Second day of Israeli-Palestinian peace talks begins - Sep 15, 2010
- US concerned over Israeli housing construction in West Bank - Aug 10, 2011
- Israel okays West Bank housing ahead of Biden visit - Mar 08, 2010
- US continues push for Middle East direct talks - Aug 14, 2010
Tags: barack obama, ceremonial dinner, egyptian president hosni mubarak, hosni mubarak, indirect talks, israeli prime minister, jerusalem post, jordanian capital, jordanian king abdullah ii, king abdullah ii, mahmoud abbas, minister benjamin netanyahu, palestinian peace, palestinian president mahmoud, palestinian president mahmoud abbas, president hosni mubarak, president mahmoud abbas, prime minister benjamin, spring this year, west bank palestinians