Netanyahu downplays dispute with Obama over settlementsJune 25th, 2009 - 12:55 am ICT by IANS
Paris, June 24 (DPA) Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu Wednesday downplayed growing tensions with US President Barack Obama over Israeli settlements, saying it was just a spat between friends.
“We have an unbreakable bond of friendship with the US,” Netanyahu said in Paris after talks with French President Nicolas Sarkozy. “Even among best friends there can be differences.”
The Israeli prime minister arrived in Paris after his scheduled Thursday meeting in Paris with Obama’s Middle East special envoy George Mitchell was cancelled at the last minute, apparently over unresolved questions related to Israel’s settlement construction.
As a sign of how relations between Jerusalem and Washington are fraying, both sides claimed they called off the meeting.
Netanyahu again said that Israel had no intention “of expropriating additional land” for settlements, but that it had a right to build within existing settlements.
“All we want is for (the settlers) to have a normal life,” he told reporters.
The US is demanding a total freeze on all Israeli settlement activity in the West Bank and East Jerusalem.
These were hardly ideal circumstances for Netanyahu’s first official encounter with Sarkozy, who fully supports Obama’s position toward Israel and has himself called for a total end to settlement construction.
- Obama convenes Mideast peace talks - Sep 01, 2010
- Israel-Palestine direct talks end in Egypt - Sep 14, 2010
- Sarkozy calls Israeli PM Netanyahu a liar - Nov 08, 2011
- Russia urges Israel to halt settlement construction - Nov 03, 2011
- Netanyahu calls for stepped up settlement construction - Nov 02, 2011
- Israel nod for Quartet peace plan, urges Palestinian acceptance - Oct 02, 2011
- Netanyahu refuses to halt Jerusalem constructions - Apr 23, 2010
- Netanyahu calls for early polls in Israel - May 07, 2012
- Israel envoy admits that ties with US in 'crisis of historic proportions' - Mar 16, 2010
- No alternative to peace talks: Abbas (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 16, 2010
- Clashes in West Bank over construction freeze - Dec 02, 2009
- Police arrest Israeli settlers after razing outpost - Nov 07, 2011
- US concerned over Israeli housing construction in West Bank - Aug 10, 2011
- Second day of Israeli-Palestinian peace talks begins - Sep 15, 2010
- Abbas, Netanyahu hold direct talks in Jerusalem (Lead) - Sep 16, 2010
Tags: barack obama, benjamin netanyahu, bond of friendship, dpa, east jerusalem, french president nicolas, george mitchell, israeli prime minister, israeli settlement activity, israeli settlements, june 24, minister benjamin netanyahu, nicolas sarkozy, prime minister benjamin, settlement construction, settlers, spat, unbreakable bond, unresolved questions, west bank