Nepal parties mull referendum on monarchyNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:51 am ICT by admin
However, Koirala has reportedly rejected the idea saying that it would help the royalists to reorganise and activate their presence in national politics.
This was among the various suggestions given by Maoist Chairman Prachanda to Koirala other than announcing the Himalayan country republic through the interim Parliament and Constituent Assembly elections based on proportional representation.
Prachanda has also hinted at his party rejoining the government under the changed political conditions after the polls scheduled for November 22 was suspended indefinitely.
The political parties decided to ask the Election Commission to suspend the polls after they failed to break the political deadlock that emerged after the Maoists withdrew from the government.
Koirala had turned down the Maoists demands for declaring Nepal a republic immediately.
Some of the coalition parties are also favouring the idea of referendum.
The central committee meeting of the CPN-UML on Sunday concluded that referendum would be the best possible way to end the present political deadlock.
UML had earlier proposed referendum on monarchy, which the Maoists and the Nepali Congress had rejected. (ANI)
- Nepal top leaders to finalise joint resolution motion - Dec 14, 2009
- Conflict between parties delaying Nepal's cabinet expansion: Experts - Feb 14, 2011
- Nepal opposition plans anti-government protest - Jun 05, 2012
- Nepal parties reach power sharing deal - May 03, 2012
- Nepali Speaker urged to help end "meaningless" PM election - Sep 24, 2010
- Nepal remains lost in poll labyrinth - Sep 26, 2010
- Not training Nepali Maoists, says India; Rao to visit Kathmandu (Lead) - Dec 29, 2010
- Maoist-led govt acceptable in Nepal if past pacts implemented: UML - Jul 02, 2010
- Koirala seeks China's help to form government in Nepal - May 14, 2009
- Nepal's opposition parties to hold anti-PM rally - Jun 02, 2012
- Krishna leaves for Nepal Friday, 5 pacts on the way (Lead) - Jan 14, 2010
- Nepal says Maoists must expedite constitution writing process - Apr 03, 2011
- Maoists obstruct Government formation in Nepal - May 19, 2009
- Prachanda says he didn't propose Girija Prasad Koirala as PM - Oct 06, 2009
- West Nepal shut down by group seeking Hindu state - Mar 22, 2010
Tags: assembly elections, central committee, coalition parties, constituent assembly, cpn, election commission, girija prasad koirala, himalayan country, indefinitely, maoist, monarchy, nepal, nepali congress, political conditions, political deadlock, polls, prachanda, proportional representation, referendum, uml