Nepal church steps into fight between school, teachersMay 2nd, 2009 - 4:52 pm ICT by IANS
Kathmandu, May 2 (IANS) Nepal’s Catholic church has become embroiled in the row between St Xavier’s, the country’s oldest and best-known school run by Jesuit fathers, and the teachers’ union over the dismissal of a staff member.
Father Anthony Amulyanath Sharma, ordained Nepal’s first bishop by Pope Benedict, Saturday expressed “full support” for the church-run school that has been locked in a fierce dispute with the Nepal Institutional School Teachers’ Union (NISTU) since the beginning of this year.
After disrupting classes by staging a sit-in in front of the school in Kathmandu valley’s Lalitpur district in winter, the NISTU closed down all schools in the valley Thursday to protest against the dismissal of a teacher.
“I wish to state my full support for St Xavier’s in this time of difficulty and condemn this unwarranted interference that is disrupting the education of hundreds of thousands of students,” Bishop Sharma said in a statement.
St Xavier’s opened in 1951 with 65 students after then prime minister Mohun Shumsher Jung Bahadur Rana extended an invitation to the Jesuit fathers to start a school in Nepal.
- St Xavier's School in Nepal closes down indefinitely - Feb 10, 2009
- Doon School old boy could be Nepal's new envoy to India - Jul 30, 2009
- Nepal gets new army chief - Sep 09, 2012
- Catholics in Kerala elated as Alencherry ordained cardinal - Feb 18, 2012
- 15-year-old mentally challenged raped in Goa - Dec 19, 2011
- Church to probe sexual abuse allegation (Lead) - Mar 21, 2010
- Cardinal-designate George Alencherry leaves for Vatican - Feb 15, 2012
- First Catholic school in Valley after 1947 coming up - Oct 04, 2011
- Nepal government asked to recall envoy to India - Jan 09, 2011
- Expelled student leads attack on Indian priest in Nepal - Jul 29, 2009
- Nepal cracks down on Dalai Lama's birthday celebrations - Jul 06, 2010
- Kerala cardinal passes away - Apr 01, 2011
- Syro-Malabar Church leader elevated to Cardinal - Jan 06, 2012
- Vatican condemns China-sponsored ordination - Nov 25, 2010
- Nepal celebrates new year - Oct 27, 2011
Tags: catholic church, church steps, education, hundreds of thousands, institutional school, interference, invitation, jesuit fathers, kathmandu valley, lalitpur district, nepal, pope benedict, prime minister, rana, school teachers, st xavier, staff member, teachers union