Nelson Mandela returns home, ‘breathing on his own’January 29th, 2011 - 12:40 pm ICT by ANI
Johannesburg, Jan 29 (ANI): Former South African President Nelson Mandela, who was successfully treated for breathing difficulties during a two-day stay in hospital, has been discharged and is breathing on his own.
Mandela returned to his home in Houghton on Friday for home-based care of the respiratory infection.
South Africa’s Surgeon General Lieutenant General Vejaynand Ramlakan said the icon had suffered an acute respiratory infection, but he was now sufficiently well to be treated at home, ending prolonged uncertainty about his health.
“He has been discharged. Dr Mandela is in high spirits. For a 92-year-old, he surprises us on a daily basis with his powers of recovery,” said Dr. Vejaynand Ramlakan.
Mandela’s admission had brought an outpouring of good wishes for a speedy recovery, and criticism over information black-out on his condition.
In a briefing on his condition at the hospital, Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe said: “Madiba is well… and that should reassure all of us that there is no need for us to panic, there is no need for us to fear for Madiba’s health.”
Earlier, Ramlakan told the briefing that Mandela had received treatment and had responded very well, News24 reports.
The convoy, which led him from the hospital, included the department of defence and military veterans, which is responsible for the well being of former presidents, and bodyguards. (ANI)
- Former President Nelson Mandela discharged from hospital - Jan 28, 2011
- No need to panic over Mandela's health, says government - Jan 28, 2011
- 'Mandela hail and hearty' - Jan 31, 2011
- Nelson Mandela 'alive and kicking', says SA's acting president - Jan 28, 2011
- ANC calls for media to stop speculating about Mandela's health - Jan 27, 2011
- Nelson Mandela hospitalised after stomach complaint (Lead) - Feb 25, 2012
- Nelson Mandela discharged from hospital (Lead) - Feb 26, 2012
- 12 mn school kids wish Mandela with birthday song - Jul 18, 2012
- Mandela's arrest site turned into memorial - Aug 07, 2012
- South Africa celebrates Nelson Mandela's 93rd birthday - Jul 18, 2011
- Mandela discharged from hospital - Feb 26, 2012
- Rajnikanth progressing well in hospital - May 15, 2011
- Nelson Mandela hospitalized for 'routine tests' - Jan 27, 2011
- Millions of South African students greet Mandela on birthday - Jul 18, 2011
- Rajnikanth undergoes dialysis, recovering (Lead) - May 19, 2011
Tags: acute respiratory infection, black out, breathing difficulties, convoy, daily basis, department of defence, deputy president, former presidents, high spirits, houghton, jan 29, johannesburg, lieutenant general, military veterans, nelson mandela, outpouring, president nelson mandela, south african president, speedy recovery, surgeon general