Neighbours fuming over Fritzl’s plan to build new flats in AmstettenNovember 20th, 2010 - 2:24 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 20 (ANI): Residents in the Austrian country town of Amstetten are fuming, as their most infamous fellow citizen, Josef Fritzl, is planning to build new flats next their houses.
At first glimpse, the architectural plans for a dozen or so modern flats, an underground garage and an office block with big city-style mirrored windows seemed to hold out the promise of long-awaited metropolitan flair for Amstetten.
However, residents in the provincial backwater, 60 miles west of Vienna, have been horrified to discover that the ambitious scheme recently ratified by the town council has been conceived by Fritzl, who is serving a life sentence in the country’s Stein prison.
During a spectacular trial last year, the seventy-five-year-old was convicted of holding his daughter prisoner in a cellar beneath his Amstetten home for 24 years, raping her an estimated 3,000 times and fathering seven children through the incestuous relationship.
But prior to his conviction, Fritzl spent some 140,000 pounds on buying up land located only 600 yards from his cellar.
He applied for planning permission for his office and flats scheme in 2006 - two years before he was caught.
Amstetten residents have since been appalled by the news that their town council has routinely given its approval to the project, which has been ardently pursued by Fritzl’s insolvency lawyer, Walter Anzbock.
Officials studying the development apparently had no objections to the scheme and rubber-stamped it after agreeing it appeared to fulfil the statutory requirement of fitting “harmoniously” into the area.
“Fritzl won’t earn a cent out of the development and he has nothing to do with the current negotiations,” he said this week.
However, Amstetten’s residents are furious.
“Fritzl had done so much damage to our town’s reputation,” the Independent quoted Otto Popp, a pensioner who lives close to Fritzl’s proposed development site, as saying.
“He cannot be permitted to erect a monument to himself in Amstetten. He is utterly despised here.”
His son, Jurgen, has joined with other residents in a bid to stop the scheme. The town council has yet to respond to their appeal. (ANI)
- Outrage after 'dungeon dad' Fritzl gets go-ahead to build houses - Nov 08, 2010
- Fritzl to get extra hour in bed and roast chicken dinner on Christmas Day - Dec 22, 2010
- Fritzl's secret dungeon to be welded shut after becoming teen party venue - Feb 15, 2011
- Fritzl to stay in solitary for life for his safety - Jun 05, 2009
- Dungeon dad's Austrian home to be pulled down after becoming tourist attraction - May 02, 2011
- Incestuous Austrian expresses love for wife - Nov 02, 2010
- Dungeon dad Fritzl 'planned to kill family in acid bath' to hide crimes - Nov 11, 2010
- Fritzl planned to kill his dungeon family in acid bath - Nov 11, 2010
- Josef Fritzl 'scared for his life in prison' - Mar 09, 2010
- Trial of Austrian incest father Josef Fritzl opens - Mar 16, 2009
- Josef Fritzl's incest dungeon may be filled with concrete - Dec 30, 2009
- Josef Fritzl's house to be torn down - Jan 23, 2011
- Austrian incest father pleads 'not guilty' to murder (Lead) - Mar 16, 2009
- Josef Fritzl 'makes killer pal in jail' - Mar 19, 2010
- Fritzls modern prison includes gym, provides choir and tennis classes - Mar 22, 2009
Tags: 24 years, ambitious scheme, architectural plans, backwater, city style, fellow citizen, first glimpse, flair, incestuous relationship, insolvency, life sentence, modern flats, neighbours, new flats, objections, pensioner, planning permission, proposed development, statutory requirement, underground garage