Negotiations with Musharraf for orderly transition to democracy: PPPNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:58 am ICT by admin
“Protests in the streets lead to loss of life, liberty and livelihood, and we have always used protests as a last option when other doors are closed,” he said.
Commenting on the National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO), Babar said that it was a broad package of reforms for facilitating a transition to democracy.
Babar said that through the ordinance the PPP had won, for all politicians, a promise from Musharraf to doff his military uniform, ensure transparent elections and avoid political victimisation.
“Bhutto could have secured an arrangement favourable to herself long ago. Instead, she endured exile and a media campaign, while her husband suffered over eight years in prison, refusing a personal arrangement for political principle,” he added.
Babar said that the call to drop politically motivated cases was also included in the Charter of Democracy and in resolutions adopted by the Pakistan Bar Association, the Alliance for the Restoration of Democracy and other political parties.
He said the PPP’s negotiations were not structured around any power-sharing concept, as only the masses would determine which political party would form the government. (ANI)
- Govt. would lend all support to SC over summoning Musharraf : Pak law minister - May 20, 2010
- Zardari has no plans to re-promulgate NRO: Spokesperson - Dec 01, 2009
- Contempt of court: Gilani set to appear before apex court - Jan 19, 2012
- State within state won't be allowed in Pak: Babar Awan - Oct 18, 2010
- Musharraf approaching international powers to fob off Pak govt 'witch hunt' - Apr 15, 2011
- Gilani convicted for contempt, opposition wants him out (Third Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Gilani eyeing another term for PPP-led govt in Pakistan - Oct 24, 2010
- Pak minister says PPP not afraid of accountability - Jan 04, 2010
- Pakistani PM on suicidal warpath, says daily - Jan 18, 2012
- PM should respect court orders: Nawaz - Jan 17, 2012
- Gilani won't ask Switzerland to reopen cases against Zardari - Feb 10, 2012
- PPP, PML-Q strike power-sharing deal - May 02, 2011
- Zardari's children vow to stand by convicted Gilani - Apr 27, 2012
- Architect of NRO Musharraf must also be tried: Pak PM - May 17, 2010
- Dynastic politics a tragedy, says Pakistani daily - Apr 05, 2012
Tags: babar, bhutto, democracy, extremist, last option, life liberty, livelihood, media campaign, military uniform, musharraf, national reconciliation, negotiations, nro, orderly transition, political principle, politically, power sharing, ppp, said protests, transparent elections