Nefertiti’s bust reveals she wasn’t the beauty as believedSeptember 20th, 2010 - 12:10 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sep 20 (ANI): A scan of ancient beauty Nefertiti’s bust, one of the world’s most famous objects, has revealed that the Egyptian queen actually had a bent nose and even had wrinkles around her eyes.
The researchers have discovered that the bust, one of the world’s most famous objects, which is housed in the Neues Museum in Berlin, was given the ancient equivalent of a Photoshop airbrushing, which rendered the statue a more fetching nose and some ancient Botox treatment.
Television historian Bettany Hughes at the Woodstock Literary Festival said that last week she was part of a team that carried out the CT scan on the bust.
Inside the statue they discovered a second limestone likeness of the queen, who died around 1330BC aged between 29 and 38.
“That statue is still very beautiful but not as beautiful. It showed her nose was bent, and that she had wrinkles around her eyes. It’s a real portrait of a real woman. We’re now going to a tomb in the Valley of the Kings where we think Nefertiti’s sister is to see if the dynasty has the same features,” the Independent quoted her as saying.
Much of the ancient queen’s modern-day fame rests on the discovery of the bust by a German archaeological team in 1912 in the workshop of the ancient master Thutmose. (ANI)
- Sculptor hid Egyptian queen Nefertiti's flawed beauty - Sep 20, 2010
- Egypt asks German museum for Nefertiti bust - Jan 25, 2011
- Germany rejects Egypt's request to return Queen Nefertiti bust - Jan 25, 2011
- Return Nefertiti statue, Egypt to tell Germany - Dec 21, 2009
- Mystery behind creation of Nefertiti's bust unraveled - Mar 31, 2009
- Famous bust of Queen Nefertiti could be a fake - May 09, 2009
- Jane Fonda hits out at Hollywood's 'cult of perfection' - Feb 02, 2011
- CT imaging used to examine hidden face in Nefertiti bust - Apr 01, 2009
- Now, a camera that has airbrush function to whiten teeth, add make-up! - Mar 25, 2011
- Archaeologists uncover ancient statutes of pharaohs in Egypt - Feb 20, 2009
- A bust of Egyptian Queen Nefertiti may be a fake - Aug 23, 2009
- DNA analysis key for solving mystery of King Tut's origins - Aug 26, 2009
- Tomb of King Tut's wife may emerge in 2011 - Jan 04, 2011
- Divers Excavate Sunken Ruins Of Cleopatra's City - May 26, 2010
- The secret behind Elizabeth Hurley's perfect pictures - Apr 07, 2010
Tags: airbrushing, ancient beauty, ancient equivalent, ancient queen, archaeological team, botox, botox treatment, bust, ct scan, dynasty, egyptian queen, historian, likeness, museum in berlin, nefertiti, neues museum, real woman, thutmose, valley of the kings, wrinkles