Nearly seven tonnes of cocaine seized in ColombiaFebruary 9th, 2009 - 1:29 pm ICT by IANS
Bogota, Feb 9 (IANS) Nearly seven tonnes of cocaine were seized in Colombia from a truck that was apparently bound for a Mexican drug cartel. Two people were arrested, the police said.
The police seized 6.9 tonnes of cocaine bound for Mexico’s Guadalajara drug cartel on a highway in southwestern Colombia, EFE reported.
The cocaine was hidden in a truck that was also carrying 69 drums of chemicals for producing drugs.
The drug bust was made near El Bordo, a town in Cauca province, during an operation coordinated by the attorney general’s office and in which the US Drug Enforcement Administration also participated.
The cocaine “was going to be delivered to the Guadalajara cartel by members of the criminal organisation led by drug trafficker Javier Antonio Calle Serna”, a police official said.
The Colombian criminal organisation, according to a police investigation, has ties to the Guadalajara cartel and operates in Valle del Cauca, Narino and Cauca provinces, using specially designed trucks to smuggle drugs into Mexico and the US.
- Colombian police capture key man in drug cartel linked to Mexico and the U.S. - Jan 14, 2011
- Colombian police seize one tonne of cocaine - Aug 31, 2011
- Colombia seizes 2.6 tonnes of cocaine - Jun 06, 2012
- Colombia seizes over three tonnes of marijuana - Apr 19, 2011
- Suspect in slaying of Argentine singer nabbed - Mar 14, 2012
- Colombia seizes 2.2 tonnes of cocaine - Sep 13, 2011
- Colombian drug trafficker nabbed at father-in-law's funeral - Apr 08, 2009
- Two tonnes of cocaine found in coffee bags - Jul 25, 2010
- Five die in Colombian bar attack - Sep 27, 2011
- Colombian police seize 1.5 tonnes of cocaine - Jan 04, 2011
- Venezuela arrests top Colombian drug trafficker - Jul 07, 2010
- 17 cocaine labs destroyed in Colombia - Jan 26, 2012
- Colombian rebels say they are holding French reporter - May 07, 2012
- Colombian police seize mobile cocaine lab - Mar 09, 2009
- 22 drug labs destroyed in Colombia - May 01, 2010
Tags: attorney general, bogota, chemicals, cocaine, colombia, criminal organisation, drug bust, drug enforcement administration, drug trafficker, drums, efe, el bordo, guadalajara, mexican drug cartel, narino, police investigation, police official, ties, tonnes, valle del cauca