Nearly 1,400 criminals arrested in ChinaNovember 22nd, 2011 - 9:43 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Nov 22 (IANS) A total of 1,395 people allegedly involved in criminal gangs have been captured in a massive nationwide campaign in China, the government said.
A statement issued by the ministry of public security said the campaign was launched by police in 11 provinces, Xinhua reported.
At least 20 mafia-style organisations and 121 gangs were crushed during the campaign, it said. This included gangs involved in monopolising local seafood markets with force and gangs involved in illegal operation of casinos.
In the past five years, police across the nation have broken up a total of 2,174 criminal gangs, and captured over 4,200 guns. Assets worth over 10 billion yuan (around $1.5 billion) have been frozen, the statement said.
Sale of guns is illegal in China.
- Chinese mafia ring busted, 58 held - Jun 19, 2012
- Chinese policeman jailed for life over bribe - Jun 15, 2012
- Ex-cop and brother jailed for running mafia in China - Jan 21, 2012
- China cracks 28,000 IPR violation cases - Nov 06, 2011
- In crackdown on graft, China probed 2,723 officials in 2010 - Mar 11, 2011
- In four years, China breaks 1400 criminal gangs - Jun 10, 2010
- China destroys 100,000 seized guns - Jun 13, 2012
- China solves 278,000 criminal cases in 2010 - Sep 01, 2010
- China closes over 7,000 illegal websites - Feb 22, 2012
- 18 mafia leaders jailed in China - Jun 01, 2010
- Three gang bosses sentenced to death in China - Oct 22, 2009
- China busts gang for selling gutter oil - May 05, 2012
- China executes mafia-style gang leader - Dec 13, 2011
- China busts gang that sells illegal firearms - May 25, 2012
- China Mobile profits go up - Mar 16, 2012