Nearly 100 killed this month in attacks in PakistanSeptember 27th, 2009 - 9:49 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Sep 27 (IANS) Nearly 100 people have been killed in Pakistan so far this month in different incidents of suicide as well as US drone attacks, the Online news agency reported Sunday.
Between Sep 1 and Sep 26, at least 95 people have lost their lives in diffent attacks in Paksitan, particularly in the Federally Administered Tribal Area (FATA) and North Western Frontier Province (NWFP), the report said.
The toll included Saturday’s twin blasts in NWFP’s Bannu town and capital city of Peshawar. At least 27 people were killed and more than 30 injured in the two blasts.
A suspected US drone strike also killed at least 12 militants in North Waziristan late Thursday.
The number of terror related deaths since April has crossed the 300-mark. More than 700 people have also been injured during the period, which saw 19 suicide attacks, a sign of Taliban determination to take revenge of the Pakistani Army’s offensive against them in the Swat Valley and its adjacent areas.
The former tourist destination has been reeling under Taliban violence since early 2007 when militants loyal to radical cleric Maulana Fazlullah began an armed struggle to enforce Islamic sharia law in the valley, some 140 km from Islamabad.
In April, the Pakistani Army launched a major offensive in Swat and three of its bordering districts after Fazlullah’s men refused to disarm even after the government imposed sharia following a peace agreement.
Though the authorities have announced that the military now controls most of the region, regular clashes have been taking place between soldiers and the Taliban remnants.
During this period, the security forces have achieved major success in killing several hardcore militants and arrested many key Taliban others, including the group’s spokesman Muslim Khan, commander Mehmood Khan and Sher Muhammad Qasab.
- Maulana Fazlullah's aide arrested in Pakistan - Oct 26, 2009
- Injured Pakistani Taliban leader surrounded: Minister - Nov 05, 2009
- Militants kill anti-Taliban militiamen in Pakistan (Lead) - Sep 24, 2009
- Militant leader arrested in Pakistan - Sep 16, 2009
- Pakistani Taliban commander dead - Sep 20, 2009
- Six kids among 26 killed in Pakistan attacks (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Car bombings kill 13 in northwestern Pakistan (Second Lead) - Sep 26, 2009
- Pak forces nab 85 terror suspects in raids across Khyber Pakhtunkhwa - Jul 10, 2010
- 25 Pakistani troopers killed in Taliban attack: Army - Aug 27, 2011
- Damage assessment begins in Pakistan's terror-hit Swat - Nov 06, 2009
- More blasts in Pakistan, three killed (Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
- New video footage shows Swat Taliban chief Mullah Fazlullah alive and in action - Jul 23, 2010
- 30 militants killed in Pakistan (Lead) - Sep 13, 2009
- Five troopers killed in Pakistan suicide bombing - Dec 24, 2011
- Three killed in blast at Pakistani police station (Lead) - Sep 26, 2009
Tags: bannu, drone, fata, frontier province, islamic sharia law, mehmood khan, north waziristan, pakistan islamabad, pakistani army, paksitan, peace agreement, peshawar, radical cleric, sher muhammad, suicide attacks, swat valley, tourist destination, tribal area, twin blasts, western frontier