Nearly 100 injured in South Africa train crashJanuary 15th, 2011 - 8:08 pm ICT by BNO News
SPRINGS, SOUTH AFRICA (BNO NEWS) — Nearly 100 people were injured on late Friday afternoon when two passenger trains collided in South Africa, rescue workers said on Saturday.
The accident happened just before 6 p.m. local time on Friday when two trains collided on a bridge above the Paul Kruger Highway in Springs, a city on the East Rand in the Gauteng province, about 50 kilometers (31 miles) east of Johannesburg. More than 100 people were on both trains.
“Netcare911 Paramedics arrived at the scene to find the crumpled carriageway near the railway lines on the bridge,” said Netcare911 spokesman Jeffrey Wicks. “The injured had spilled from the doors that they had managed to prise open.”
Seven of the 95 injured passengers were reported to be in a serious condition, while the others were said to have minor to moderate injuries. “They were treated and stabilized at the scene by medics before they were transported by ambulance to area hospitals and clinics for the care that they required,” Wicks added.
On September 10, 2010, more than 30 people were injured when two trains, one of them a passenger train, collided near a Metro rail station in the town of Alrode Alberton, also near Johannesburg.
- Dozens injured after trains crash near Johannesburg - official - Sep 10, 2010
- Scores injured after trains collide head-on near Johannesburg - Sep 10, 2010
- Train crash in South Africa kills 1, injures more than 80 - Apr 08, 2011
- 30 people killed in head-on collision in South Africa - Dec 11, 2011
- Train crash in South Africa injures more than 850 - May 20, 2011
- Babies among 19 dead in South Africa bus wreck - Jan 15, 2011
- Scores injured when taxi overturns in South Africa - Dec 29, 2010
- Bus crash kills at least 19 in South Africa - Jan 15, 2011
- One dead, twenty injured in South Africa bus-taxi crash - Dec 20, 2010
- Two die when small plane crashes in South Africa - Aug 21, 2010
- Security officer shot in the head at South African airport - Aug 11, 2010
- Bus crash kills 19 in South Africa - Jun 25, 2012
- Dozens injured as luxury train derails in South Africa - Apr 21, 2010
- High-speed train revs into Johannesburg for World Cup - Jun 08, 2010
- 'Humphrey the Hippo' kills owner in South Africa - Nov 13, 2011
Tags: africa train, alberton, ambulance, bno, carriageway, east rand, friday afternoon, gauteng province, johannesburg, kilometers, medics, metro rail station, paramedics, passenger train, passenger trains, paul kruger, railway lines, train crash, two trains, wicks