NC nursing home shooting kills at least 6: PoliceMarch 30th, 2009 - 6:33 pm ICT by GD
A shooter opened fire at a nursing home in North Carolina on Sunday morning. He killed at least 6 people and injured many more, the police reported.
The gunman also sustained injuries before the police arrested him after his frenzied shootout at 10 am at the Pinelake Health and Rehab in the town of Carthage, according to Police Chief Chris McKenzie. He also said that a police officer was also hurt in the shootout but did not reveal why the gunman opened fire.
Gretchen Kelly from the First Health Moore Regional Hospital in neighboring Pinehurst said that six people were brought in from the nursing home, and two of the injured died at the hospital. Two other patients were discharged and two were still under treatment. No more information was available.
Later during a search of the nursing home’s parking lot the police found a camouflage colored rifle or shotgun leaning against a Jeep Cherokee. The area was cordoned off with yellow police tape.
No one from the nursing home or the police and other law enforcement agencies in the area responded to queries after the initial statements issued. The road to the nursing home was later seen filled with parked cars of the relatives of the occupants at Pinelake as well as the police.
The nursing home was erected in 1993 and has 110 beds of which 20 are reserved for those with Alzheimer’s disease. It had earlier received a five star - or much above average -rating from federal Medicaid officials.
- Eight killed in US old age home (Lead) - Mar 30, 2009
- Eight killed in shooting at US retirement home - Mar 30, 2009
- Singer of Hippie anthem `San Francisco' dies - Aug 21, 2012
- Gunman kills 11 students in Brazil school - Apr 07, 2011
- Three killed in shooting near US varsity (Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- At least 2 dead and 2 deputies wounded in Wal-Mart shootout in Washington state - Jan 24, 2011
- US investigating Sikh gurdwara shooting as domestic terrorism - Aug 06, 2012
- Elderly man kills 2 doctors before killing self in southwestern Germany - Mar 07, 2012
- Seven electrocuted to death in Jharkhand - Apr 13, 2012
- Deadly Denver shooting at Batman premiere kills 12 (Night Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- 7 killed in shooting at US gurudwara (Third Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Six killed in US shooting - Mar 30, 2009
- Indian American student among wounded in US shooting (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Infections in US hospitals claim 400,000 lives annually - May 07, 2011
- 7 killed in shooting at US gurudwara - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: camouflage, chris mckenzie, federal medicaid, first health, five star, gretchen, gunman opened fire, initial statements, jeep cherokee, law enforcement agencies, medicaid, medicaid officials, moore regional hospital, nursing home, occupants, pinehurst, police chief, police officer, shotgun, yellow police tape