NBC to cut royal wedding coverage as Wills, Kate deemed ‘too boring’April 18th, 2011 - 6:57 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Apr 18 (ANI): NBC Universal has cut a number of pre-taped segments of the royal wedding as insiders feel that Prince William and Kate Middleton are “too boring”.
Sources revealed that some news producers, editors and on-air talent will head to London later than previously scheduled as bosses have scaled back the number of pre-taped packages to run before the April 29 nuptials.
“The US public’s interest was not what they thought. Kate and Prince William are both really boring,” the New York Post quoted a source as saying.
NBC Universal still plans arguably the most exhaustive programming plans of any network group for the wedding, including having all its ‘Today’ show hosts report live from the UK.
It has also scheduled live updates from London on the Weather Channel and a festive ‘Watch What Happens Live: Royal Wedding Spectacular’ with host Andy Cohen.
But sources told us worries over viewer fatigue resulted in a decision to cut up to half of the pre-taped footage.
“They’re allotting fewer resources to it because they’re afraid it’s not going to rate well,” a source said.
For example, a ‘Dateline’ special, which usually includes all pre-taped segments, will air a two-hour “instant documentary” on the wedding day hosted by Ann Curry, comprised of footage from the ceremony.
But a rep for NBC has denied the story in a statement.
“This could not be more false — NBC News has the most aggressive and comprehensive coverage of the royal wedding, as you will see when you tune in to ‘Today’ starting Friday at 4 a.m. to ‘Dateline’ at 9 p.m. and on MSNBC, Telemundo, etc,” the rep said.
“This has been the plan from the beginning . . . Cheerio!” the rep added. (ANI)
- Are Prince William & Kate Middleton too boring for NBC? - Apr 19, 2011
- Flashback of royal family before William-Kate wedding - Apr 23, 2011
- Prince Harry is planning to host an after-party breakfast - Apr 25, 2011
- Kate, Will to have 3-D Royal Wedding? - Nov 27, 2010
- Prince William to spend wedding eve with dad - Apr 20, 2011
- TLC to host royal wedding viewing party in New York's Times Square - Apr 07, 2011
- Have a look at the big fat fake royal wedding! - Apr 02, 2011
- Kim Kardashian wants a royal wedding - Aug 05, 2011
- Wills-Kat 'to have a low-profile honeymoon in Greece' - Apr 05, 2011
- Wills-Kate 'to snub celebs expecting Royal wedding invite' - Feb 02, 2011
- Royal wedding will be streamed live on YouTube - Apr 20, 2011
- Wills-Kate 'invite exes to wedding' - Mar 20, 2011
- Wiil-Kat 'did not sign a prenup agreement' - May 02, 2011
- Prince William, Kate Middleton will dance to ABBA songs at reception - Mar 04, 2011
- Will-Kat to spend royal wedding eve dusk away from each other - Apr 27, 2011
Tags: andy cohen, ann curry, kate and prince william, kate middleton, live updates, msnbc, nbc, nbc news, network group, new york post, prince william, prince william and kate, prince william and kate middleton, programming plans, royal wedding, today show hosts, weather channel, wedding coverage, wedding day, william and kate