Nauru to send one athlete to Beijing OlympicsJuly 22nd, 2008 - 1:50 pm ICT by IANS
Wellington, July 22 (Xinhua) The tiny Pacific island nation of Nauru will send only one athlete, weighlifter Itte Detenamo, to contest at the Beijing Olympics next month. This decision was made by the Nauru Olympic Committee Tuesday, following a final trial test held at the Oceania Weightlifting Institute in Noumea, New Caledonia, between Nauru’s Yukio Peter 77kg category and Detenamo 105+kg category.
Both athletes are International Olympic Committee (IOC) scholars. Detenamo’s total was 387 kg with a snatch of 175 kg and a clean and jerk of 212 kg. Yukio Peter’s total was 330kg with a snatch of 140 kg and a clean and jerk of 190 kg.
Detenamo is the 2007 South Pacific Games triple gold medallist and competed at the 2004 Olympic Games placing 14th in the 105+kg category. He also won a bronze medal at the 2006 Commonwealth Games.
Nauru qualified at the Oceania Olympic qualification event held in New Zealand in March this year. Nauru had three lifters in 2004 at the Athens Olympics (two males and one female).
Peter, who finished eighth in Athens in the 69kg category and won a silver medal in the clean and jerk at the 2005 World Championships, has had in the last couple of years a series of disappointments which have culminated in missing out on this year’s Olympic Games.
But the Nauru Olympic Committee will still take him to the Olympics as an official to assist his team mate Detenamo’s.
- Olympic weightlifting: Polish underdog bags gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: North Korean weight-lifter breaks world record - Jul 31, 2012
- South Korea aims 10 gold medals at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
- CWG weightlifting: Sudhir wins bronze for India - Oct 08, 2010
- Olympic weightlifting: Ravi Kumar finishes sixth in 69kg - Jul 31, 2012
- CWG weightlifting: Dey and Rao add a silver and bronze to the kitty (RoundUp) - Oct 04, 2010
- We are not here to make up the numbers: Weightlifting coach - Jul 19, 2012
- CWG weightlifting: Silver for Sukhen, Srinivasa gets bronze - Oct 04, 2010
- Lifters Soniya, Sandhya win India's first medals in CWG 2010 - Oct 04, 2010
- Eight Tunisian wrestlers qualify for London Olympics - Mar 20, 2012
- Britain's taekwondo athlete Stevenson takes Olympic oath - Jul 28, 2012
- Asian Games weightlifting: Medal hope Ravi Kumar finishes fifth - Nov 15, 2010
- China's Wang finally lifts Olympic gold - Jul 29, 2012
- Indian men lifters fail in 62kg category, women in 53kg - Oct 06, 2010
- CWG weightlifting: Soniya, Sandhya win first medals for India (LEAD) - Oct 04, 2010
Tags: 2004 olympic games, 2006 commonwealth games, athens olympics, beijing olympics, bronze medal, disappointments, gold medallist, international olympic committee, lifters, new caledonia, olympic games, olympic qualification, pacific island nation, silver medal, south pacific games, team mate, tiny pacific island, trial test, xinhua, yukio