NATO warship seizes ‘pirate mother ship’ off SomaliaFebruary 13th, 2011 - 8:41 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 13(ANI): A NATO warship has captured a suspected pirate mother ship off Somalia, NATO’s counter-piracy mission has said.
It said that a warship from Denmark had fired warning shots on Saturday, forcing the vessel to stop and its crew to surrender.
Sixteen suspected pirates on board were then held and a weapons cache seized. Two Yemeni hostages were also freed.
“These ships provide the pirates with a floating base. They pose a great threat to the merchant shipping,” the BBC quoted the chief officer of the Danish warship, as saying.
“We have now eliminated one of these threats,” he added.
It said it believed that the fishing vessel had been hijacked.
The NATO, along with the EU’s naval force, has been escorting merchant ships in the Gulf of Aden since 2008. (ANI)
- Danish warship frees Pakistani, Iranian hostages - Jan 09, 2012
- 12 hostages rescued from Somali pirates - Apr 13, 2012
- Danish warship rescues 12 hostages from Somali pirates - Apr 13, 2012
- Seychelles to prosecute four pirates - Apr 30, 2012
- South Korea to join India-China-Japan anti-piracy patrols (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Indian Govt. mulling idea of having armed guards on merchant ships - Mar 15, 2011
- Denmark to deploy surveillance aircraft against Somali pirates - Oct 28, 2011
- Indian warship thwarts pirate attack on Greek vessel - Jul 19, 2011
- Indian Navy foils another piracy attempt - Nov 11, 2011
- Fresh pirate attack on freed vessel, India rushes warship (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Thai Navy disrupts Somali pirate attack on Liberian-flagged vessel - Nov 01, 2010
- No ship under Indian Navy's escort hijacked in Gulf of Aden since Oct 2008 - Apr 13, 2010
- Pirates seize Indian vessel with 14 crew off Oman (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Indian Navy warship deployed near Somali coast to free sailors - Apr 19, 2011
- Freed merchant vessel crew safely proceeding to Oman: Government - Jun 15, 2011
Tags: bbc, chief officer, denmark, fishing vessel, gulf of aden, hostages, london feb, merchant ships, mother ship, nato, piracy, pirate, somalia, suspected pirates, warning shots, warship, weapons cache, yemeni