NATO replaces top soldier with sailorMay 13th, 2009 - 12:47 am ICT by IANS
Mons (Belgium), May 12 (DPA) NATO Tuesday appointed a US admiral to take charge of all its military operations, including the ground war in Afghanistan, as the former commander, General Bantz J. Craddock, retired.
NATO’s top planning committee has appointed Admiral James Stavridis as the Supreme Allied Commander Europe (SACEUR), at the request of US President Barack Obama, a NATO press release said.
It is the first time in 55 years that a sailor has been handed NATO’s highest operational command, following 12 army generals, two air force chiefs and one marine.
The committee “agreed with great regret” to the retirement of Craddock, a four-star general and former tank commander who turns 60 next year, the statement said.
Stavridis takes over the command of NATO’s military headquarters, based in the Belgian town of Mons, as the alliance is battling to stabilise Afghanistan in the face of the Taliban insurgency.
According to his official biography, the admiral is a surface-warfare specialist who saw combat as the commander of a carrier battle group during the US-led invasion of Iraq.
Prior to his appointment as SACEUR, he served as the commander of US Southern Command, a post Craddock also held before he took over command at NATO.
NATO’s current operations also include peacekeeping in Kosovo and fighting piracy off the coast of Somalia.
- General Craddock removed as NATO's military head - May 12, 2009
- NATO appoints new SACEUR - May 12, 2009
- Spies create top NATO commander's fake Facebook profile - Mar 13, 2012
- NATO commander to talk Euro missile shield in Moscow - Oct 10, 2011
- Mentor Mullen Says McChrystal Is 'crushed' over his sacking - Jul 03, 2010
- NATO chief expresses fears over presence of al-Qaeda members among Libyan rebels - Mar 30, 2011
- Boost Afghan forces by 20,000 men: NATO commander - Nov 24, 2008
- Pakistan, ISAF discuss border coordination - May 13, 2012
- US in bind over providing weapons to Libyan rebels amidst fears of their links to al-Qaeda - Mar 30, 2011
- Petitioners claim apex court was misled on next army chief (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- India, Finland to discuss heightened defence cooperation - Apr 23, 2010
- Obama likely to announce changes in national security team this week - Apr 27, 2011
- Former Indian Navy chief Adm. Dawson dies - Oct 24, 2011
- Petraeus rules out drastic changes in Afghan war policy - Jul 02, 2010
- Medvedev replaces Russian Navy commander - May 07, 2012
Tags: admiral james stavridis, army generals, bantz, barack obama, belgian town, carrier battle group, commander europe, commander general, craddock, ground war, invasion of iraq, military headquarters, mons belgium, nato press, operational command, saceur, supreme allied commander, tank commander, war in afghanistan, warfare specialist