NATO forces attacked, militants killed in AfghanistanMarch 2nd, 2009 - 12:46 am ICT by IANS
Kabul, March 1 (DPA) An Afghan child was killed and five civilians were wounded when a suicide bomber targeted a convoy of NATO forces in eastern Afghanistan, while eight militants were killed in two clashes elsewhere in the country, officials said Sunday.
The bomber detonated his explosives-laden vehicle near a convoy of NATO forces outside of Nangahar provincial capital Sunday, wounding six people including three children, Ahmad Zia Abdulzai, spokesman for the provincial governor said.
One of the injured children died of his wounds, the NATO military said in a statement, adding that none of its soldiers in the convoy were hurt.
Meanwhile, the Afghan defence ministry and US-led coalition forces said in statements Sunday that their forces killed eight suspected insurgents in two separate clashes in southern Afghanistan Saturday.
Four militants were killed in a fight with US-led military forces in Maiwand district of southern Kandahar province, while four others were killed in the neighbouring province of Uruzgan in a clash with Afghan soldiers.
Taliban militants, who were driven from power in late 2001 in a US-led military invasion, have stepped up their attacks in southern and eastern regions of the country as the weather warmed.
Some 17,000 US soldiers are expected to arrive in Afghanistan by summer this year to enable more than 70,000 international troops and over 160,000 Afghan security forces to quell the Taliban-led insurgency in 2009.
- 20 killed as suicide bomber targets funeral in Afghanistan (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- 45 Taliban, 2 soldiers, 5 guards killed in Afghanistan - May 15, 2010
- NATO soldier killed in Afghan insurgent attack - Nov 12, 2011
- Afghan, NATO forces kill 80 Taliban fighters (Lead) - Jul 04, 2010
- Six NATO soldiers killed in Afghan attacks - Jul 10, 2010
- Afghan, NATO soldiers among 24 killed in Afghanistan - May 09, 2010
- Afghanistan: Suicide bomber kills NATO troops, children near market - May 21, 2012
- 16 foreign troops killed in single day in Afghanistan - Oct 29, 2011
- 23 militants killed in Kandahar - May 08, 2011
- Two NATO soldiers killed in Afghanistan blast - Jul 23, 2012
- NATO soldier killed in Afghan attack - Jan 22, 2012
- Nearly 40 dead in Afghan violence - Aug 09, 2012
- 45 militants killed in Afghanistan - Jun 10, 2012
- Three US soldiers killed in Afghanistan blast - Feb 13, 2010
- US soldier kills 17 in Afghan shooting rampage - Mar 11, 2012
Tags: afghanistan kabul, coalition forces, country officials, defence ministry, eastern afghanistan, eastern regions, international troops, kandahar province, military forces, military invasion, nato forces, nato military, neighbouring province, provincial capital, provincial governor, southern afghanistan, southern kandahar, suicide bomber, uruzgan, zia