NATO chief against arming Syrian rebelsApril 3rd, 2012 - 9:42 am ICT by IANS
Brussels, April 3 (IANS) NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen has called for “a peaceful and political solution” to the Syrian crisis and warned against providing weapons to Syrian rebels.
“I don’t think the right way forward would be to provide any group with weapons. There is a clear risk that the provision of arms to any group in Syria would also lead to a potentially dangerous proliferation of weapons in the region,” Rasmussen was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
“I do hope a political and diplomatic solution can be found on the basis of the work that has now started under the leadership of the UN special envoy Kofi Annan,” he said.
The remarks came amid reports that some Arab countries were considering arming Syrian rebel fighters.
The NATO chief also stressed that the alliance had “no intention” to intervene in Syria, but nevertheless it was monitoring the situation closely.
Syria has been the scene of anti-government protests for nearly a year. According to the UN, more than 9,000 people have died in the unrest.
- No intention to intervene in Syria: NATO chief - Sep 11, 2012
- Syrian president ready for honest effort to solve crisis - Mar 11, 2012
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- NATO chief rules out intervention in Syria, Iran - Feb 29, 2012
- India welcomes Syria ceasefire, wishes Annan success - Apr 13, 2012
- NATO chief dismisses talk of intervention in Syria - Nov 05, 2011
- Don't support foreign interference, Syria urges BRICS - Mar 29, 2012
- Kofi Annan to visit China - Mar 24, 2012
- Clinton warns Russia over Syria policy - Jun 14, 2012
- Strengthen ceasefire in Syria: Annan - Apr 23, 2012
- Direct talks in Syrian standoff unlikely: Russia - May 15, 2012
- Russia calls for UN monitors to stay in Syria - Aug 03, 2012
- Both Syrian forces, rebels to blame for massacre: Russia - May 29, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- Iran renews support for Annan's Syria peace plan - Aug 01, 2012
Tags: anders fogh rasmussen, arab countries, brussels, diplomatic solution, intention, kofi annan, leadership, nato, nato chief, nato secretary general, political solution, proliferation, protests, provision, rebel fighters, rebels, syria, unrest, weapons, xinhua