NATO captures ‘Iranian arms smuggler’ in AfghanistanDecember 24th, 2010 - 6:04 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 24 (IANS) A member of the elite al-Quds force of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard, wanted for his involvement in smuggling of arms, was captured by NATO troops in Afghanistan.The man was detained last Saturday in Zehri district of southern Kandahar province, which is known as the birthplace of the Taliban movement, the BBC reported.
The man was a “key Taliban weapons facilitator” involved in smuggling arms from Iran to Afghanistan, NATO was quoted as having said in a statement.
The man was detained “for facilitating the movement of weapons between Iran and Kandahar through (southern) Nimruz province,” a spokesman for the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said.
“The now-detained man was considered a Kandahar-based weapons facilitator with direct ties to other Taliban leaders in the province,” the ISAF statement said.
A senior Afghan security official in Kandahar said coalition forces had been monitoring the man for some time.
“Iranian intelligence officers are helping the Taliban and drug dealers in the south. We deal with it every day. This is a known fact now,” the official told BBC. “It was the international forces who arrested him. They had been listening to him for some time and monitoring his electronic communications.”
- Iranian soldier captured in Afghanistan - Dec 24, 2010
- Man in Afghan army uniform kills NATO soldier - Feb 01, 2012
- 10 militants killed in Afghanistan - Aug 18, 2010
- Haqqani network leader held in Afghanistan - Nov 30, 2011
- Taliban leader involved in NYT journalist Farrell's kidnapping among insurgents arrested in Afghanistan - Oct 05, 2010
- Three Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Dec 29, 2011
- 11 killed in NATO chopper crash in Afghanistan - Aug 16, 2012
- Three civilians among 13 killed in Afghanistan (Lead) - Aug 21, 2010
- NATO says 20 insurgents killed in Afghanistan - Aug 14, 2010
- NATO-led air strike kills senior Haqqani leader in eastern Afghanistan - Oct 06, 2011
- 50 Taliban rebels lay down arms in Afghanistan - Dec 20, 2011
- Three women killed during NATO operation in eastern Afghanistan - Apr 28, 2012
- Two NATO troops killed in Afghanistan - Mar 26, 2012
- Man in Afghan army uniform kills three NATO soldiers - Aug 30, 2012
- NATO soldier killed in Afghan blast - Sep 09, 2012
Tags: al quds, coalition forces, dec 24, electronic communications, intelligence officers, international security assistance, iranian intelligence, isaf, kandahar province, known fact, last saturday, nato troops in afghanistan, quds force, security official, smuggler, southern kandahar, spokesman, taliban, taliban movement, troops in afghanistan