NATO campaign aimed at ousting Gaddafi - Russian NATO envoyMay 25th, 2011 - 4:38 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 25 (IANS/RIA Novosti) NATO operations in Libya are only aimed at bringing down the Gaddafi regime, Russian ambassador to NATO Dmitry Rogozin said Tuesday.
NATO forces are leading a military campaign to protect civilians from government troops in Libya, where a civil war has been raging since February.
“These actions have been reduced to [an attempt to] overthrow the Gaddafi regime, not fulfill UN resolutions,” Rogozin said. “This is in open conflict with the UN Security Council resolutions.”
Russia will formally ask NATO to clarify reports about an imminent ground operation in Libya during a NATO-Russia Council meeting Wednesday, he said.
Fourteen of the 28 NATO countries are taking part in the operation Unified Protector in Libya, which includes air strikes, a no-fly zone and naval enforcement of an arms embargo in response to attacks on civilians.
Russia abstained in the UN Security Council vote on the resolution.
Western media reports claim the US has suggested the Libyan rebels open a representative office in Washington.
- NATO air strikes in Tripoli kill 19 civilians: Libyan TV - May 25, 2011
- Russia-NATO Council meeting to address Libya issue (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- Clinton urges western powers to increase pressure on Gaddafi - Mar 30, 2011
- Russia-NATO Council to discuss conflict settlement in Libya - Mar 29, 2011
- US will not put ground forces in Libya, says Obama - Mar 26, 2011
- US Congress votes against military campaign in Libya - Jun 25, 2011
- Russia criticises UN chief's defence of Libya action - Dec 23, 2011
- NATO extends mission in Libya - Jun 01, 2011
- UN lifts no-fly zone over Libya - Oct 28, 2011
- Medvedev urges security for Russian diplomats in Libya - Mar 19, 2011
- Western forces breaching UN resolution on Libya: Russian envoy - Apr 18, 2011
- Russia backs NATO action in Libya - Aug 12, 2011
- UN resolution on Libya too hasty, says Russia - Mar 23, 2011
- Gaddafi offers $400,000 bounty for Libyan opposition leader - Mar 10, 2011
- Russia, NATO may discuss Libyan crisis - Mar 02, 2011
Tags: arms embargo, civilians, dmitry rogozin, fly zone, gaddafi regime, government troops, military campaign, nato campaign, nato countries, nato forces, nato operations, nato russia, open conflict, representative office, ria novosti, russian ambassador, security council resolutions, un security council, un security council resolutions, un security council vote