NASA outreach program confirmed despite White House denialJuly 15th, 2010 - 3:11 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, July 15 (ANI): The White House is disavowing a plan to have NASA conduct outreach to Muslim countries, but a congressman who talked to NASA Administrator Charles Bolden about that plan last month said the initiative was very real until somebody slammed the brakes on it.
Rep. Pete Olson, ranking Republican on the Space and Aeronautics House Subcommittee, told FoxNews.com that Bolden described the outreach program as part of the administration’s space plan during a conversation they had in June.
Though Bolden mentioned the outreach months ago during a speech in February, it drew widespread attention after he described it as a “foremost” priority during an interview with Al Jazeera last month.
The administration initially stood by the claim, but White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said Monday that Bolden misspoke and that the outreach is “not the task of NASA.”
Olson said that to his knowledge no collaboration with Muslim countries actually took place.
He said such a collaboration could raise concern about missile technology falling into the wrong hands.
At the same time, he said NASA doesn’t have much classified information to share. He described the agency as a cash-strapped arm of the federal government in dire need of some TLC.
The comments drew fire from conservatives and former NASA officials already on high alert over the administration’s move to cut funding for the NASA Constellation program. (ANI)
- Muslim outreach push 'deeply flawed': Ex-NASA director - Jul 07, 2010
- White House denies NASA Administrator's comments on Muslim outreach role - Jul 13, 2010
- Obama assigns NASA Chief engaging with Muslim world as his 'foremost' mission - Jul 06, 2010
- NASA presents new launch system with eye on Mars - Sep 15, 2011
- NASA and Brazil sign Earth science agreements - Oct 28, 2011
- NASA names Waleed Abdalati as chief scientist to oversee scientific endeavors - Dec 13, 2010
- We need clear space vision: Senators to Obama - Feb 25, 2010
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour ends final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- Mars rover sends back human voice recording - Aug 28, 2012
- Space shuttle Discovery lands on Earth after final mission - Mar 10, 2011
- NASA selects partners for 2010 Summer of Innovation - Apr 27, 2010
- Shuttle Discovery back to Earth post 13-day final mission - Mar 10, 2011
- NASA may use space station to prepare flights to Mars - Apr 07, 2011
- First American woman in space dies of cancer - Jul 24, 2012
- American President Barack Obama Establishes Mars Target For NASA - Apr 19, 2010
Tags: al jazeera, charles bolden, conduct outreach, foremost priority, house subcommittee, missile technology, misspoke, muslim countries, nasa administrator, nasa conduct, nasa officials, nasa outreach, outreach program, pete olson, press secretary, robert gibbs, secretary robert, space plan, white house press, wrong hands