NASA final shuttle launch scheduled for July 8May 21st, 2011 - 12:38 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 21 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The final space shuttle flight has been tentatively scheduled for July 8 from the Kennedy space centre in Florida, NASA said.
“This date was targeted based on NASA’s current planning. An official launch date will be announced following the June 28 Flight Readiness Review,” NASA said in a press release Friday.
Four veteran astronauts will take space shuttle Atlantis on a 12-day re-supply mission to the International Space Station (ISS).
“STS-135 will be Atlantis’ 33rd mission and the 37th shuttle flight dedicated to station assembly and maintenance. It will be the 135th and final mission of NASA’s Space Shuttle Programme,” NASA said.
Once the shuttle fleet is retired, Russian Soyuz craft will be the only way for astronauts to reach the ISS until at least the middle of the decade. NASA is paying its Russian counterpart Roscosmos more than $1 billion for crew transport services over the next four years.
The retired four shuttle orbiters will be displayed permanently at various scientific institutions across the US. Atlantis will be on display at the Kennedy space centre.
- NASA sets farewell shuttle launch July 8 - Jun 29, 2011
- Space shuttle Endeavour returns to Earth after final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- New space station crew in orbit - May 15, 2012
- Space shuttle Atlantis makes final landing - Jul 21, 2011
- Russia not to exploit space shuttle monopoly - Jul 19, 2011
- Russia's manned spacecraft docks with ISS - Dec 24, 2011
- Russian spacecraft undocks from ISS - Nov 22, 2011
- Private spacecraft to make second supply run to ISS - Aug 24, 2012
- Atlantis docks for last time with International Space Station - Jul 11, 2011
- Space station crew land safely in Kazakhstan (Lead) - Nov 22, 2011
- Atlantis' landing ends final mission after 30 years of space shuttle era - Jul 21, 2011
- Pope to talk with ISS crew - Apr 22, 2011
- Russia launches space freighter - Oct 31, 2011
- Space station crew lands in Kazakhstan - Apr 27, 2012
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour ends final mission - Jun 01, 2011
Tags: 1 billion, astronauts, flight readiness, international space station, kennedy space centre, launch, nasa, ria novosti, russian counterpart, russian soyuz, scientific institutions, shuttle fleet, snb, soyuz craft, space shuttle atlantis, space shuttle flight, space station iss, station assembly, transport services, us atlantis