Narayana Murthy among Fortune’s 12 ‘greatest entrepreneurs’March 28th, 2012 - 11:04 pm ICT by IANS
New York, March 28 (IANS) Fortune magazine has listed Infosys co-founder N.R. Narayana Murthy among the 12 “greatest entrepreneurs of our time” with Apple’s late chief Steve Jobs, Microsoft founder Bill Gates and Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg.
The list is topped by Jobs, whom Fortune calls “our generation’s quintessential entrepreneur. Visionary. Inspiring. Brilliant. Mercurial” while Gates is second for turning “concepts into companies” and changing the “face of business”.
“The outsourcer” Murthy, who has been ranked tenth, “proved that India could compete with the world by taking on the software development work that had long been the province of the West,” the US magazine said.
The “visionary founder” of Infosys, has built “one of the largest companies in India, helping to transform that economy and put it on the world stage”, it noted citing his lesson that an organisation starting from scratch must coalesce around a team of people with an enduring value system.
“As one of six co-founders of Infosys and the CEO for 21 years, Murthy helped spark the outsourcing revolution that has brought billions of dollars in wealth into the Indian economy and transformed his country into the world’s back office,” the magazine said.
“It is all about sacrifice today, fulfilment tomorrow,” Murthy, 65, who is now chairman emeritus, is quoted as saying. “It is all about sacrifice, hard work, lots of frustration, being away from your family, in the hope that someday you will get adequate returns from that.”
- Renowned banker K.V. Kamath new Infosys chairman (Night Lead) - May 01, 2011
- Bill Gates wishes Murthy as he retires from Infosys - Aug 20, 2011
- Co-founder Narayana Murthy bids adieu to Infosys - Aug 19, 2011
- US varsity honours Narayana Murthy - May 16, 2012
- Two IITians among 400 richest Americans - Sep 22, 2011
- Banker Kamath to succeed Narayana Murthy at Infosys (Roundup) - May 01, 2011
- Infosys' Murthy wants budget to turbo-charge economy - Feb 27, 2012
- Government should be proactive in reducing unemployment: Narayana Murthy - Aug 03, 2012
- I am hopeful about Infosys Kolkata project: Narayan Murthy - Aug 03, 2012
- Over 2,000 aspiring entrepreneurs to gather at TiE summit - Dec 19, 2010
- Kaushik Basu to head Infosys' science prize jury - Apr 10, 2012
- Ex-IITian is the new Infosys co-chairman - May 01, 2011
- Infosys' Murthy pitches for Indians to study in Japan - Feb 27, 2012
- Infosys names K.V. Kamath as new chairman (Third Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Six achievers in science bag Infosys Prize - Oct 25, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,