Napoleon letter to be auctioned in MoscowFebruary 26th, 2011 - 10:36 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Feb 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A love letter by Napoleon Bonaparte, addressed to his first wife Josephine de Beauharnais in 1796, will go under the hammer Saturday in Moscow.In his letter, the future French emperor and military genius, then 26, confesses to Josephine, then 32, that glory is a value to him only because it flatters her, and complains that her feelings toward him are nothing but a whim.
The love letter of one of the most illustrious couples in history had already been sold for $120,000 in 2006 and for $445,000 at Christie’s art auction two years later.
Napoleone Bonaparte (1769-1821) was a military and political leader of France and Emperor of the French as Napoleon I, whose actions shaped European politics in the early 19th century.
Besides the letter, about 800 art objects have been listed for the Moscow’s Gelos art auction this year.
Launched in 1988, Gelos now holds 120 auctions a year, selling more than 50,000 objects.
- Rare Napoleon letter sold for $400,000 - Jun 12, 2012
- Napoleon's hair auctioned in New Zealand - Jun 29, 2010
- Russia seeks 900 stolen artworks via Interpol - Dec 29, 2011
- Victor Hugo collection auctioned off for $4.2 mn - Apr 05, 2012
- Napoleon 'hoped to conquer Britain from St Helena' - Jun 17, 2010
- Hitler's paintings to be auctioned in Sweden - Nov 08, 2011
- 'Putin-Mona Lisa' portrait sold for $300,000 - Oct 01, 2011
- Russia, France should join hands for united Europe : Putin - Sep 03, 2012
- Russian interior ministry orders new drones - Apr 05, 2012
- Napoleon's hair to be auctioned by Kiwi family - May 27, 2010
- Two held for looting 30 gays in Moscow - Mar 24, 2012
- Russian army officer convicted for shooting guard dogs - May 17, 2012
- Sudan ready for talks with South Sudan: Russia - May 01, 2012
- Ammo blast kills six in Russia - May 03, 2012
- Russian Air Force to get 180 new aircraft - Aug 11, 2012
Tags: 19th century, art auction, art objects, christie, european politics, first wife, french emperor, gelos, hammer, josephine de beauharnais, kv, love letter, military genius, moscow, napoleon, napoleon bonaparte, political leader, ria novosti, whim, wife josephine