NAM urges UN to resolve Palestinian tangleJuly 30th, 2008 - 11:40 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, July 30 (IANS) The Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) member countries Wednesday expressed their solidarity with the Palestinian people and called for implementing UN resolutions to stop Israeli outrages in the occupied territories. A declaration adopted by the NAM Committee on Palestine during the 15th ministerial conference here Wednesday strongly condemned the “genocide” being committed by the Israeli Army against the Palestinian people everyday, the official IRNA news agency reported.
The committee on Palestine led by Cuba, which holds the presidency of the 118-member grouping, condemned the Israeli action in the region and demanded the implementation of the UN resolutions that call for the creation of an independent Palestinian state with al-Quds as its capital.
It also supported an international conference to debate the issue seriously.
“The Palestine question is, undoubtedly, the cornerstone of the prevailing complex situation in the Middle East, and while it does not be solved, tension in the zone will be a predominant issue,” said Cuban Foreign Minister Felipe Perez Roque.
Roque termed the paralysis in the UN over the issue as “unjustifiable”, and urged the global organisation to act without delay to ensure peace and security in the region.
In a statement, Palestinian National Authority (PNA) Minister of Foreign Affairs Riad Malki welcomed the NAM agenda and said it would be beneficial for his country.
Malki said that the NAM agenda will back an understanding among several political forces of his people, particularly between the Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas) and Al-Fatah, a group led by Abbas.
- Israel raids Palestinian TV stations in Ramallah - Mar 01, 2012
- Abbas not to hold bilateral talks with Iran - Aug 31, 2012
- Israel declines to accept Palestine's Unesco membership - Nov 01, 2011
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- NAM to put economic role on agenda in Tehran summit: Official - Aug 25, 2012
- Palestine: Fatah, Hamas reach agreement on reconciliation - Apr 28, 2011
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- India objects to cancellation of NAM meet on Palestine - Aug 06, 2012
- Hamas leader to attend NAM summit in Iran - Aug 25, 2012
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- 'Press Israel to meet Palestinian prisoners' demands' - May 08, 2012
- Palestine denies reports of reconciliation with Hamas - Jun 19, 2010
- IBSA hopes Middle East, north Africa changes will be peaceful - Mar 08, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah leaders to finalize reconciliation deal - Oct 13, 2011
- Palestine becomes Unesco member; US upset - Nov 01, 2011
Tags: al fatah, al quds, fatah, felipe perez roque, foreign minister, global organisation, independent palestinian state, islamic resistance movement, israeli army, malki, member countries, minister of foreign affairs, ministerial conference, movement hamas, occupied territories, outrages, palestine question, palestinian national authority, paralysis, riad