Naked bikers grab motorists’ eyeballsJune 14th, 2010 - 1:46 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 14 (ANI): Dozens of riders finally grabbed the attention of motorists when they took to the streets and rode their bikes in the buff, as part of the annual Naked Bike Ride.
The event is organised in cities around the world to raise awareness of the environmental benefits of cycling, and to also make people take notice of the riders, something they say does not always happen when they have their clothes on.
“We have had a lot of accidents this year. We put about five ghost bicycles in which represent the people who were killed in a traffic accident,” Sky News quoted Ollin Tonatiuh, the organiser of the Mexico City event, as saying.
“We are asking people for drivers to respect the cyclists, that they respect the pedestrians so that there aren’t as many accidents and that they see us as we really are, naked in front of traffic,” added Tonatiuh.
Naked bike riders also drew stares in London and Edinburgh as well as Madrid and Zaragoza in Spain.
And while the event was aimed at putting a serious message across about both the benefits and dangers of cycling, some of those taking part just did it for the thrill of bike riding in the nude.
As he pedalled along in Mexico City, one cyclist said he was involved “to enjoy nature, the earth, the air, the sun and above all the naked body because it is a universal”. (ANI)
- Oz cyclists strip naked to highlight vulnerability of riders on roads - Mar 07, 2011
- Mexicans ride bikes to avoid traffic jams - Sep 03, 2012
- No thought for pedestrians, cyclists on Indian roads: Experts - Apr 05, 2012
- Death of a Scotsman brings lessons for Goan cyclists - Mar 22, 2011
- Himalayan cycling expedition begins Sep 30 - Sep 19, 2011
- Cycling to work? Growing movement to tackle mobility crisis (Feature) - Mar 25, 2012
- Pedal your way to discovering the real India - Jan 09, 2012
- Pedalling 1,000 km to popularise cycling - Dec 14, 2010
- Cycle for your health, and that of Bangalore - Jul 18, 2009
- Online campaign in Agra against traffic chaos (Letter from Agra) (With Images) - Jul 15, 2012
- Sydney is world's most hostile city for cycling - Mar 13, 2010
- Bangaloreans' 48-hour run/pedal to fund education - Jan 20, 2011
- Bollywood's Ranbir Kapoor rides cycle to promote pollution free environment - Oct 27, 2009
- 'Copenhagen Wheel' bicycle uses peddlers' energy to zoom uphill - Aug 20, 2010
- Peruvian cyclists take to road in buff - Mar 15, 2010
Tags: accidents, benefits of cycling, bicycles, bike riders, buff, cities around the world, cyclists, environmental benefits, eyeballs, june 14, mexico city, motorists, naked bike, naked bikers, naked body, pedestrians, sky news, stares, traffic accident, zaragoza