Nadal returns to Queen’s for third straight yearApril 10th, 2009 - 2:01 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 10 (DPA) Rafael Nadal has confirmed his hopes of repeating as champion at Queen’s club saying that he will return as defending champion at the grass-court event June 8-14.
The world No.1 pulled off a grass double in 2008, winning in west London as well as wresting the Wimbledon title from Roger Federer after a five-year run for the Swiss.
Queens’ starts the day after the final at Roland Garros, which Nadal has won for the last four years.
“It is nice to come back to a place where you are the last champion,” Nadal said. “Both are very traditional tournaments which I love to play. To arrive as the champion is going to be a really nice experience.”
Nadal hopes for two title from three Queen’s appearances after making his start in 2006 with a quarter-final. He beat Novak Djokovic in last year’s final.
In 2008, Nadal become the first player in history to win the French Open, Queen’s and Wimbledon in the same year.
“It was amazing and totally unexpected for me after winning in Roland Garros. I arrived and all I had was one day to adapt to grass. But I played really, really good tennis. I played relaxed, without pressure and I played really well.”
- Djokovic: Taking on Nadal in French Open final is ultimate challenge - Jun 09, 2012
- Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Djokovic overcomes Nadal to win US Open - Sep 13, 2011
- Nadal wins sixth Rome Masters title - May 21, 2012
- Nadal one win away from French Open title record - Jun 09, 2012
- Wimbledon: Sania-Elena seeded fourth, Paes-Bhupathi third - Jun 15, 2011
- Djokovic beats Nadal to win maiden Wimbledon title (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Nadal beats Federer, wins sixth French Open crown (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- French Open final postponed to Monday - Jun 11, 2012
- Djokovic shatters dream final with knockout of Federer - Sep 12, 2010
- Nadal wins record seventh French Open (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Nadal sweeps to second Wimbledon trophy with dream victory (Night Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- Federer beats Djokovic to reach Wimbledon final - Jul 06, 2012
- After French win, Sharapova eyes Wimbledon - Jun 24, 2012
- Djokovic pips Nadal to win longest Grand Slam final - Jan 29, 2012