Nadal lashes ATP again over crowded clay schedule

April 12th, 2008 - 1:58 pm ICT by admin  

Bremen (Germany), April 12 (DPA) An unhappy Rafael Nadal has lashed out at ATP tournament scheduling for the second time in a week, citing what he believes is unfair treatment of clay warriors by the sanctioning body. The world No.2 spoke Friday after overcoming jet-lag following a weekend Miami final and defeating Philipp Kohlschreiber 6-7 (3-7), 6-3, 6-4, 6-2 in a Davis Cup World Group tie with Germany.

Due to the Olympics - and a kowtow to American university basketball last month - three clay-court Master events will be played soon in the course of four weeks.

“I’m tired of complaining about this,” said the usually amicable Spaniard, a three-time Roland Garros champion. “The people in charge don’t share my opinion and I have to respect that.”

But Nadal added: “This is an outrageous way to treat European and clay court players.”

Within eight days after Sunday’s Davis Cup wrap-up, Monte Carlo begins, followed one week later by Rome and then back-to-back by Hamburg. There remain six days before commencement of the French Open.

Olympic scheduling is partly to blame, but Nadal says that clay players are copping the punishment anyway.

“The ATP is making our lives almost impossible. Moving Miami and Indian Wells back (by one week) because of college basketball is something I understand because it’s very important to them - but this is a world tour.

“We only have three Masters Series events and we have to play them with an important tournament like Barcelona all running together.”

Nadal, defending massive amounts of clay season points, is entered on the surface for four successive weeks, winning all titles but Hamburg in 2007.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |