N. Korea’s nuclear defiance may embolden Iran, Israelis worryJune 1st, 2009 - 2:47 pm ICT by ANI
Tel Aviv, June 1 (ANI): Israel is bracing for a fallout from the nuclear and missile tests conducted by North Korea.”If the Americans can’t show credibility on North Korea, then they won’t be able to go far. It’s a thermometer.The US has been threatening to take action against North Korea since the 1990s and the North Korea has been able to buy time. The Israeli concern is that’s exactly what will happen with Iran,” the Christian Science Monitor quoted Gerald Steinberg, a political science professor at Bar Ilan University, as saying.
Israeli experts believe that it should have been easier to apply a mix of diplomatic and military pressure on North Korea than Iran because of its comparative geographic, economic, and political isolation.
“This is open season for nukes,” says Uzi Rubin, a former military Israeli intelligence officer who served as head of Israel’s Missile Defense Organization from 1991-99.
Rubin adds that international diplomacy is useless if not backed up by a credible threat of force.
Addressing an Asian security conference in Singapore this weekend, US Defense Secretary Robert Gates said the US would not tolerate a nuclear North Korea, and warned that if diplomacy failed, tougher measures would be considered.
North Korea’s history of supplying missile equipment to Iran, Syria, and Egypt stretches back at least a decade. (ANI)
- Israel to test next-generation missile defense system - Mar 02, 2012
- We can't wait long for diplomacy to work: Israel PM - Mar 06, 2012
- Panetta vows military action against Iran - Mar 07, 2012
- Israel may attack Iran before US election: Report - Aug 23, 2012
- Israel 'plans attack on Tehran within months' - Feb 04, 2012
- Israeli minister demands air, sea blockade on Iran - Mar 06, 2012
- US missile defence plans hinder new arms cuts: Russia - Jun 30, 2012
- Russian military chief visits US - Jul 10, 2012
- South says North Korea ready to carry out nuclear test - Apr 24, 2012
- Israel seeks advanced missiles for new gunboats - Jul 09, 2012
- Israel to buy dozens of Italian jets - Feb 17, 2012
- Israel leaders misleading public on Iran: Ex-security chief - Apr 28, 2012
- Iran says that it has placed 150,000 missiles towards Israel - Nov 28, 2011
- Iran test-fires ballistic missiles - Jul 03, 2012
- G8 expresses concerns over North Korea, Iran - May 20, 2012
Tags: asian security, bar ilan university, christian science monitor, credible threat, gerald steinberg, intelligence officer, international diplomacy, israeli experts, israeli intelligence, military pressure, missile defense organization, missile tests, north korea, open season, political isolation, political science professor, robert gates, secretary robert, security conference, uzi