N. Korean spy detained for plotting to assassinate its official in SeoulOctober 20th, 2010 - 2:13 pm ICT by ANI
Seoul, Oct 20 (ANI): A North Korean agent has been arrested for plotting to assassinate Hwang Jang-Yop, a former secretary of the North’s ruling party, who died earlier this month from heart attack, according to South Korean prosecutors.
According to The Telegraph, the 46-year-old is accused of plotting to murder Jang-Yop on orders from the North’s Reconnaissance Bureau, which oversees espionage operations against the South.
Jang-Yop lived in Seoul under police guard at an undisclosed address and became a bitter critic of the regime he once served, because of which he reportedly received several death threats.
The 87-year-old was found dead in his bathtub on October 10.
According to police, an autopsy had shown that he had suffered heart failure the day before he was planned to be assassinated, and added that they suspected no foul play in his death.
“No traces of any drug or poison were found in his body. There was no foul play involved in his death,” the statement added. We are closing the investigation since there are no grounds to suspect a homicide,” police said earlier.
Its has been reported that the spy, identified as Lee, entered South Korea via Thailand in August posing as an ordinary refugee and that his mission was disclosed during an interrogation by security officials about his motives for fleeing the communist state, prosecutors said.
In July, two North Korean spies were sentenced to 10 years in prison in Seoul for plotting to murder Hwang. (ANI)
- Kim Jong II has network of escape tunnels, says defector - Dec 08, 2009
- Kim Jong Il has a network of 007-style emergency escape tunnels, reveals defector - Dec 09, 2009
- South Korea on high alert after Kim's death - Dec 19, 2011
- 'Kim Jong-il's death was extensive intelligence failure' - Dec 20, 2011
- Seoul hopes tensions between Koreas will ease - Jan 02, 2012
- South Korea lifts temporary travel ban to North - Jan 04, 2012
- US, South Korea hold military drill - Jun 22, 2012
- Bo Xilai's wife 'confessed' to killing British businessman - Aug 07, 2012
- Suspect in journalist's murder held in Pakistani Kashmir - Jun 21, 2011
- Suspect in Shahzad murder held in Pakistani Kashmir (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Defectors using cell phones, web sites to reveal North Korea's secrets - Mar 29, 2010
- Indian-origin woman's killer down with cancer - Jul 13, 2011
- Chinese politician's wife probed over Briton's death (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Death of Indian engineer in US being probed - Apr 25, 2012
- Disgraced South Korean cloning researcher found guilty - Oct 26, 2009
Tags: bathtub, communist state, death threats, espionage, foul play, heart attack, heart failure, homicide, hwang, interrogation, jang, korean agent, police guard, ruling party, security officials, seoul seoul, south korea, south korean prosecutors, spies, state prosecutors