N. Korean leader, son visited artillery base just before S. Korean island was hitNovember 26th, 2010 - 12:56 pm ICT by ANI
Yeonpyeong Island (S. Korea), Nov.26 (ANI): North Korean leader Kim Jong Il and his son and successor Kim Jong Un reportedly visited an artillery base from where shells were fired at a South Korean island just hours before the attack.
Fox News quoted South Korean media reports, as saying the father and son had met General Kim Kyok-sik, the commander of the frontline fourth corps in charge of a Navy base in South Hwanghae province, just before the North shelled the island.
North Korea’s attack on Yeonpyeong Island that killed two South Korean marines and two civilians on Tuesday. The Joongang Daily quoted a well-informed government source as saying that it was probably ordered by Kim Jong Il himself.
A National Assembly Defense Committee member said military intelligence obtained the information and was trying to figure out whether the visit was directly related to the attack, the Chosun Ilbo reported.
The United States says it believes North Korea’s actions were an isolated act tied to leadership changes in Pyongyang, and many experts say the North carried out the shelling to burnish the image of the inexperienced and little-known younger Kim.
The ailing leader is desperate to give a lift to his youngest son, named as heir apparent to the family dynasty in September, but who has little clear support in the military. (ANI)
- Kim's son behind attack on South Korea to 'mobilise military and consolidate his power' - Nov 24, 2010
- Risk of war rising in Korean peninsula: Adm. Mullen - Dec 14, 2010
- Warship camouflage developed by North Korea - Aug 23, 2010
- 'N. Korea could attack South again prior to power succession' - Dec 01, 2010
- China's 'guarded response' puts onus on both Koreas to establish peace in Peninsula - Nov 24, 2010
- Has Kim Jong-un undergone plastic surgery to resemble grandpa? - Oct 05, 2010
- Kim Jong-un declared North Korea's supreme military commander - Dec 31, 2011
- North Korea confirms mystery woman is leader's wife - Jul 26, 2012
- North Korea's Kim Jong-un promoted to top military rank - Jul 18, 2012
- Seoul hopes tensions between Koreas will ease - Jan 02, 2012
- Kim Jong-un signs order of battle - Aug 27, 2012
- North Korea says US 'bringing Korean peninsula to brink of war' - Nov 26, 2010
- N. Korea develops warship camouflage - Aug 23, 2010
- South Korea lifts temporary travel ban to North - Jan 04, 2012
- North Korea's heir apparent planned attack on eldest brother - Oct 13, 2010
Tags: chosun ilbo, defense committee, family dynasty, fox news, government source, joongang, kim jong il, korean leader, korean marines, korean media, kyok, leadership changes, military intelligence, navy base, north korea, north korean leader kim jong il, pyongyang, sik, south korean, youngest son